InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

X is for X-23, Woman of The X-Men!


I dedicate this month-long challenge to children, with nephew Jeremy topping my list. Much thanks to the animated or more serious characters who agreed (or not) to conduct interviews this month. Sure, I had to promise them 80% of my profits, but a few are altruistic to the core. At least, that sounds good. Right? My point: Have fun reading this or doing something else. Give a child a hug today too.

~~~~~~~~~~!~~~~~!~~~~~?~~~~~?~~~~~*~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x

I exhausted my “X” options, all one of them. We’re stuck with an X-"man". Sorry. I shouldn’t down these mutants, though. Since the 1990s, The X-Men has been the top comic book franchise in the world. They can be found not only on bookshelves, but also in video games, and at rehearsals for an upcoming movie. Furthermore, X-men aren’t just men. Over a dozen of said X-men are women.

I’m perplexed. Long gone are the days of tossing one’s bra into a bonfire and rallying for voting rights. Yet these killer women (i.e., women who kill) don’t protest a “man” label. Why not? I’ve invited X-23 (aka Laura Kinney) to our studio today, in hopes of shedding light on this peculiarity.

Robyn: Welcome, X-23. X-23 extends a hand and two bone claws abruptly retract. Robyn, shaking, sticks her hand back into her pocket.

Thanks for joining us. You’re a good role model for kids. You’re tough, courageous, and you battle evil forces. You show us that girls can be strong and proactive. I like that. But why are you referred to as a man and doesn’t that bother you?

X-23 belches. Let’s be clear, we’re all mutants. I’m Wolverine’s clone. Nobody, and I mean nobody, calls me a man.

Robyn gulps. So, you’re a clone of a man? I’m afraid I’m more confused.

X-23: No. I’m a woman X-man mutant clone. Why the confusion, babe, and you got any beer around here?

Robyn: No. Sorry. Um, will this do? Robyn hands her a Big Hunk bar, which X-23 readily ravages. Back to your question, I suppose I’m confused by your enhanced capabilities, retracting bone claws, and wondrous healing powers--in addition to the fact you are an X-MAN.

X-23: Let’s keep it real. In the mutant or human world, it’s all the same. Everybody knows who’s really in charge. We just let the men think they are. She winks.

Robyn: That’s an excellent point, X-23. Thank you for clearing up my confusion. Robyn begins to give a handshake but rescinds the gesture, remembering the claw factor. X-23 zips away, and Robyn grabs a beer from the fridge.
***
Marvel Comics' The X-Men was created by writer Stan Lee and artist Jack Kirby. The first X-Men comic book hit the shelves in 1963. Reports vary, but it appears there have been approximately 100 X-Men over the years, with close to 15 of these X-Men being women. Craig Kyle created X-23 (Laura Kinney), and Christopher Yost partnered with Kyle to write a number of episodes in which she was featured. 

The X-Men fight for what’s right and are progressive-minded. They accept people (and mutants) from all walks of life – provided theses beings are on the good side of good versus evil. For these reasons alone, I salute all who’ve contributed to The X-Men, especially those who created the fearless Women X-Men. Keep up the fight, male and female X-Men mutants and mutant clones!

15 comments:

  1. Wonderful write, enjoyed the read very much,
    Thanks for stopping by, much appreciated.
    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not the only one who needs a beer now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kept the beer for yourself... smart. I wouldn't trust anyone with retractable claws to drink around me either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you for getting the character and characterization exactly right. Impressive Ms. Robyn. If I didn't love you already....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Robyn. I tried for ever to think of X one for this post and couldn't come up with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was entertaining! I need to get to know the X-men with my two boys. I like what the X-men stand for. Go X-men! And Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice post. Love me some x-men.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A mean thing to do , keep the beer away....but I prefer the claw-less ones...not even Wolverine can move me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. He He, she called you Babe!
    Thanks for the laughs!
    Hope you are having a wonderful Thursday Robyn Love!!! Hm, what will Y be??? I will stay tuned!
    Lots of love
    gi gi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know how you've managed to make each and every one of these entries so unique, but you have!! I've loved reading every last one of them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Marlene, but - crap - what do I do for Y and Z?

    Thanks, all.
    xXXoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very creative posts Robyn!!!
    You are good, you...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love X-Men. And I love you. You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete