InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

G is for GUMBY!

I dedicate this month-long challenge to children, with nephew Jeremy topping my list. Much thanks to the animated or more serious characters who agreed (or not) to conduct interviews this month. Sure, I had to promise them 80% of my profits, but a few are altruistic to the core. At least, that sounds good. Right? My point: Have fun reading this or doing something else. Give a child a hug today too.

~~()~~~~o~~~<>~~~~o~~~[]~~~~o~~~{}~~~~o~~~<>~~~~o

Robyn: Gumby! Gumby! Thanks for walking out of Any Book with your pony pal Pokey too for this interview. I always loved your show. My favorite bit is when you shrink to drive a train. I still can't figure out how that segment of the train track keeps moving along with the train. Those are some impressive special effects.

Gumby: Oooh.

Robyn:  And your mom has pretty yellow hair, but your dad's black-top looks funky. Then, there's your little dog Nopey who only says "no." What are the Blockheads doing these days? Oh, and Pokey's a cool hue, but he's kind of a downer. Don't you think? Is he poking around facebook these days?

Gumby: Oooh. Watch! Gumby rolls into a ball towards Any Book. He disappears behind the cover.

Robyn: To think, he was once a little green slab of clay.  GUMBY!

Art Clokey invented Gumby - claymation icon - in the early 1950's. Gumby aired for over 35 years. If you have a heart, Gumby's a part of you. Thanks, Art!


16 comments:

  1. Gumby used to freak me out as a child. Though the gumby toy I had, didn't. Go figure.

    Now I have to see if pokey is on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...nice post...wish i had seen gumby in action...always loved these clay balls turning into something...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 35 years and I have never heard of this cat. I clearly missed out Robyn - nice post. David

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was never a fan of Gumby when I was a kid. But you did a great job with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I didn't realize Gumby aired for over 35 years! That's a great bit of trivia! Pleased to meet you via the A-Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though the whole concept was a little creepy, I loved Gumby! I even remember his girlfriend's name: Goo.
    True life story: years ago (that's probably a comfort), I had a two foot tall Gumby doll which had batteries (keep it clean now!). When you pressed Gumby (I said KEEP IT CLEAN!), his head would light up into a green glow (OK, that does sound a little dirty). Well, I figured out how to rig it so Gumby's head stayed lit. I then set Gumby on the toilet seat after midnight and waited to see if my stepfather (real life dad-as seen in my blog-long since departed the pattern) used the bathroom in the middle of the night. Well, he did.
    I never knew he could scream like a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Gumby! I never had him as a kid, but always saw him in the store and wanted him. I think my parents thought it was dumb. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonder if Gumby ever met Mr. Bill?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gumby is so great. I haven't seen the show in ages!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gumby was a favorite of mine. I felt a warm nostalgia when playing the theme song on youtube yesterday.

    Thanks for dropping by. Sorry this was so scant. [I think I hit a wall around F and need to regroup for H-Z].

    xoRobyn

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good ol Gumby! Happy Friday Robyn :)
    Hey, I just got with the design for your poem! I am going to post it on Sunday ( I think) I really want you to see it first and tell me what you think?
    Do you have an email I could send it to?
    Love ya
    G

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you talked with Gumby! I really like the fact that "Nopey" only said no. Ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha Gumby.. I don't know Gumpy but I've seen an Italian claymation show that ran during the eighties I think.. it was weird!

    You're too funny...

    =]

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Gumby. :) I didn't know he was on for over 35 years!! That's crazy!!

    ReplyDelete