InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

E is for Ernie!

I dedicate this month-long challenge to children, with nephew Jeremy topping my list. Much thanks to the animated or more serious characters who agreed (or not) to conduct interviews this month. Sure, I had to promise them 80% of my profits, but a few are altruistic to the core. At least, that sounds good. Right? My point: Have fun reading this or doing something else. Give a child a hug today too.

~~~o~~~~o~~~o~~~~o~~~o~~~~o~~~o~~~~o~~~o~~~~o

Robyn: The tiles are wet, Ernie. Can I have a towel? Oh, the camera's rolling. Hi, folks! I'm in Bert and Ernie's bathroom, while Ernie takes a bath. He bathes all afternoon every afternoon, so I agreed to conduct this interview here. Thanks, Ernie. How are you doing these days?

Ernie: Great! He sings. Rubber ducky, you're the one! You make bath time so much fun! Rubber ducky I'm aw-fully fond of you! Ernie pats his hands on the water with a splash, splash, splash!

Robyn: That's really sweet and a bit concerning, Ernie. How did your bathtub obsession start? 

Ernie: Bert gets me started with everything. Hee hee. The rubber ducky is just an added toy that I've become aw-fully fond of. Hee hee. And I mean AW-FULLY FOND OF.

Robyn: Let's cut to the chase, Ernie. We've all been intrigued by your special relationship with Bert. Star Magazine, TMZ, and even Nickelodeon have offered speculations. PBS is the only respectable entity to keep quiet on the matter. It's really nobody's business, and you two are the bees' knees regardless of whether bees actually have knees. Still, you sleep together, bathe together, count sheep together. What else do you do together?  Why not be open about it? You could be a great model for other muppets struggling with sexual identity issues.

We hear the front door open and slam shut. Bert shouts, "Ernie, I'm home! I'm stripping down to join you and our rubber ducky for our regular routine!"

Robyn: Th, thank you for your time! Gotta get outta here! She maneuvers a step ladder and climbs out the bathroom window.

Ernie made his first Sesame Street appearance in November, 1969. Thanks to Jim Henson, of blessed memory, for these beloved and very clean characters.

21 comments:

  1. I don't want to be explaining anything to the Grands, so let's hope they stay clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear...

    Always loved Ernie though. One of my favorite Sesame Street characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *giggles*
    gigglelaughcry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Bert gets me started with everything" now has a brand new meaning! Maybe Jim was trying to tell us something??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bert and Ernie rock! When my oldest was three she told me they were Oranges and Bananas - I could see it...it was funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like the video of this event, please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear their relationship has been on the rocks ever since the Christmas party when Bert caught Ernie under the mistletoe with Telly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wondered about them muppets....do they even HAVE a sexual identity? My catch phrase of the day is "Don't be a drag, just be a Queen"....compliments of Lady Gaga of course, but it could very well fit with this interview :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Robyn, you made me snort with this one.

    You are too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wasn't "Rubber Ducky" Ernie's pet name for Bert in vinyl?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny one this :D...love your style of writing...well it could be just, honest to good bath water splashing you know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They have been 'partners' for as long as they have been roomies. Now Ernie is just an around to give alibis and get rid of evidence when Bert is out committing serial murders. Burt is skeevy and you can't predict when he will go homicidal on ya. I think you got out of that house just in the nick of time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Has Bert ever actually been in bathtub? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha ha....I never even realized Ernie spent so much time in the tub, but then again...how the heck would I still know that rubber ducky tune from YEARS ago if I hadn't seen him in there a number of times?!! Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Betty, I had to sign Bert and Ernie's ready-made agreement that I wouldn't bring in any video equipment. Sorry. xo

    Daffy, I like it. Thanks. ;0>

    Al, oh, in that case Ernie's got a few rubber duckies. Lucky guy. xo

    TS, LOL. I hadn't heard that one. That explains why Bert arrived home late when I was there for the interview. {-:

    Good question, Beth. xo

    Kal, sounds like I need to keep on the lookout for Bert - given my new neighborhood and all. You'll still find me in that boat, right? ;0)

    Mar, none of us will ever forget the rubber ducky song. It's a good thing!
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww, Bert and Ernie and the hidden relationship. You are a clever girl! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness - what a mess! ;-) I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG, this was the BEST! I am still laughing!

    ReplyDelete