InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

P is for Puff the Magic Dragon

Puff, the magic dragon lived
I dedicate this month-long challenge to children, with nephew Jeremy topping my list. Much thanks to the animated or more serious characters who agreed (or not) to conduct interviews this month. Sure, I had to promise them 80% of my profits, but a few are altruistic to the core. At least, that sounds good. Right? My point: Have fun reading this or doing something else. Give a child a hug today too.

~~~p~~~~~u~~~~f~~~f~~~~?~~~x~~~~o~~~x~~~~o
Robyn and Puff are sprawled out on beach chairs, yards from the shore, in a land called Honah Lee.

Robyn: Yah, mon. No worries. What's with the strings and sealing wax that Jackie Paper brought you all the time?

Puff: Little Jackie and I played secret games with those things and other fancy stuff.

Robyn: Whoa, dude. That's cool. Like what?

Puff grabs another brownie, glares at it pensively, then tosses it onto the sand. I really miss that kid.

Robyn strokes Puff's spikes. Sorry, Puff. I sure am glad you'll live forever.

Puff the Magic Dragon stemmed from a 1959 poem by Leonard Lipton. Lipton was a housemate of Peter Yarrow's when the two attended Cornell University. [In the original, happier version, Puff replaces Jackie with another child after Jackie stops visiting.] Peter joined Paul Stookey and Mary Travers in 1961 to form Peter, Paul and Mary. They recorded Puff in 1962. Thanks to this wonderful threesome for gifting the world with the magic dragon. Undoubtedly, he lives forever.

23 comments:

  1. Loved Peter, Paul & Mary... and Puff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to sing the song at Primary school assembley and watch the film.

    Loved this post!

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that song. I used to get really upset when the boy grew up and Puff was left all alone in his cave ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Puff, one would think kids would be trooping in to see him but I guess the Manga and World of Warcraft keeps them busy. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed that you've captured a different character with each different letter of the alphabet.
    By the way, I, too, loved this song when I was a kid. Even if I didn't know what the hidden (or maybe not so hidden) meaning was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Peter, Paul and Mary but always admired Mary the most: Peter and Paul would be warbling away (If I Had a Hammer, yeah right!)--sweet, but wimpy-- and Mary would stride ahead laying down the melody with her penetrating,strong, wonderfully butchy vibe. What a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Puff was my favorite when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be singing this song all day! Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great choice for P. I picked Peter, Paul and Mary too, but a different song.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's nostaslgic - I used to argue with my sister about this as a kid - she swore it was Pop, I said it was Puff; needless to say I wuz right

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always resented him cause he lived by the sea. Say, you didn't eat any of those brownies did you...?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That song does have a sadness, but I love it! I'm humming it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww,loved this! I now have the song in my head. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Puff must have puffing with pleasure when you stroked his spikes. I'm sure you don't do that to all the dragons, Robyn.

    ReplyDelete
  15. HA HA! Awesome brownie reference for Puff. Perfect P post. I just wrote about the perfect post and you nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great! Now I have the song in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also have the song now stuck in my head! I wish it was still around- because Puff is one of those timeless classics that will never stop being great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love love love that song!!! (How many of those brownies have you had?)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, they were chocolate brownies. I have been more "off" -shall we say?- than usual. In other words, Puff had most of them, but I'm a lightweight.

    Love you all,
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so remembered and loved the cartoon when I was a kid. Sadly I found out the true meaning later in life – magic brownies and all. Happy Passover to you too. BTW...made you blog of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Robyn, this is such a wonderful post!! My children loved Puff and Jackie! Thanks for the memory.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was always on the radio on a Sunday morning when I was growing up. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't remember much but the song. I love the song. :)

    ReplyDelete