Alex Cavanaugh (the same Alex mentioned in my last post) drew over 100 bloggers to share our music tastes with the world.
I was hesitant to participate, as I'm a music nerd. I know what I like when I hear it, but am unlikely to know anything about the song (e.g., who sings it). My preference, simply, is for music that's both easy on the ears and meaningful. Otherwise, if it makes me jump up and dance, it's a winner.
Here are my top 10 picks of the greatest songs of all time:
1) Wildflower by Skylark ~ I'm glad to draw attention to this one, as it's a little known but wonderful piece. When I first heard it in the 80's, I froze. It spoke to me, and I claimed it as my song. Admittedly, it's dark but with poetic lyrics. Here's a sample:
2) Rockin' Robin by Bobby Day ~ I'll say no more, except thanks Bobby. P.S. Um, you spelled Robyn wrong. You don't mind making a little change, do you?
3) Hotel California by The Eagles ~ I've studied the words, and it's brilliantly written. Not to mention easy on the ears.
4) All About Soul by Billy Joel ~ It really is all about soul. And Billy. And a few others.
5) Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkle ~ S&G's music is purely mesmerizing.
6) Imagine by John Lennon ~ God bless John Lennon.
7) I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womak ~ This song reads like a blessing. Sample lyrics:
8) Crocodile Rock by Elton John ~ I have fond memories of playing musical chairs to Crocodile Rock (more than a few years ago), a most fun tune. I have to dance whenever I hear this one, even if I'm in the car.
9) Sailing by Christopher Cross ~ This one takes me away and has special meaning at this time, given I'm moving to the Paradise area.
10) Rainbow Connection written by Paul Williams and Kenny Ascher and performed by none other than Kermit and the Muppets. I played this one on the piano as a kid. This song was nominated for an Academy Award for best song in 1979. Those Muppets are a talented crew, and so darn cute.
"...the lovers, the dreamers, and me." Great, now this tune's going through your head. Thank me anytime.