Tuesday, November 9, 2010
Choco-Quiz Answers and Choco-Smarts Award!
Welcome back, boys and girls. Take your seats now. I'd like to thank the seven of you who took Monday's Choco-Quiz. The Super will be so happy, and I like to make him happy - if you know what I mean. (Wink, wink.) The rest of you, the ones who used your answer sheets for origami, we'll talk later. Will you teach me how to make a swan? For now, here are the correct answers (in bold below).
1) Cocoa butter (fat) comprises what percentage of the cocoa bean?
A) 23% B) 33% C) 43% D) 53% Yep. That cocoa bean is pretty fatty. Sorry.
2) Milk chocolate that is properly stored does not typically last longer than
A) 7 months B) 9 months C) 11months D) 13 years Note: I neither confirm nor deny the accuracy of this statement.
3) True or False: Valentine's Day is celebrated widely in Saudi Arabia.
The Saudi monarchy considers Valentine's merchandise contraband. For a moment, I thought I'd move to Saudi Arabia. Then, I remembered that I don't agree with any of their other policies.
4) United States standards require that milk chocolate contains a minimum of what percentage of cocoa solids?
A) 10% B) 15% C) 30% D) 45% Rather wimpy. Wouldn't you say?
5) Chocolate that "seizes" does what? A) cools to room temperature B) heats to a boil
C) clumps and hardens D) requires immediate mouth-to-mouth resuscitation
6) The machine that evenly coats candies with smooth creamy melted chocolate is called what? A) Entuber B) Ensheller C) Enrober D) Enabler
7) The gray-brown dust that can appear on chocolate is called what?
A) Bloom B) Couverture C) Matte D) Mold
8) Which company marketed the Reggie! bar?
A) Mars B) Nestle C) Hershey's D) Standard Brands I thought this was a paint store, but I guess not.
9) True or False: It is not advisable to drink milk with dark chocolate, because dairy products can inhibit the body's ability to absorb antioxidants.
10) The most evil chocolate company in the world, and one which has a known history of exploiting child labor, is:
A) Hershey's B) Her Cheese C) I Am The Cheese D) His Crackers
As far as grades, I was generous with the curve. It was a tough test, and most of you didn't even bother.
The following students get B's: Anthony, Copyboy/Jesse, and TS Hendrik. Congratulations, boys!
A's go to Michael, Marlene (Sorry Marlene. I know you studied for an F), and Rachel. [Rachel is my gifted home-schooled student.] Great work!
Our star pupil, with an A+ for 8 out of 10, is Baygirl32! Congratulations, Baygirl!
Please accept this Choco-Smarts Award for your collection! You're truly deserving.
Class is dismissed. Run along, now, and don't forget your show-and-tell item tomorrow. Remember, it can't be alive or toxic. xo