InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

What is Chocolate? A Jeopardy Question

Dear Sillies,
   How are you holding up?
   Allergies are kicking my tuchas. Anyone else contending with them? Any remedies to suggest besides snorting things up your nostrils repeatedly like a coke addict? (Probably not something to do in public.)
   Otherwise, I can't complain. Well, we can always complain. But it's better to be appreciative, in spite of life's miseries. I am. And I hope you feel the same, at least for moments in time.
   This past weekend, I took a little trip to Berkeley (approx 3 hours away).
   It's a colorful place with some lovely flowers, and fresh Bay air.


   There, I attended a sweet young guy's Bar Mitzvah* ceremony. (*The Jewish ceremony marking one's passage into adulthood at age 13. For girls, it's called the "Bat Mitzvah.") This young man, who I used to babysit, is a kindred spirit in his love for chocolate.
   During the reception, he and his classmates played Jeopardy. One question perplexed me. Well, I just lied. Many more than one question stumped me. This one, though, I really should have known: What is the name for the chemical formula of chocolate?

How could I have no clue?
That's not right. I'm a fraud!
The kids immediately shouted the answer - those smart, young Berkeley-ites.
Do you know, my smart, young and young-ish bloggy friends?
I'll post answer after the picture of more lovely flowers in Berkeley.














Here we go:
"Theobromine, formerly known as xantheose, is a bitter alkaloid of the cacao plant, with the chemical formula C7H8N4O2. It is found in chocolate, as well as in a number of other foods, including the leaves of the tea plant, and the kola (or cola) nut."

WHO KNEW? I SURE DIDN'T!

Keep a smile and plenty of theobromine on hand, my dears.

26 comments:

  1. Dear Robyn, I don't know chocolate from theobromine any more than I know pearls from calcified clam-snot, but my childhood fantasy was to live in a housefull of Hershey Bars. I still like them and I'm a grapebig man now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I understand your comment, but I'm surely enjoying it, grapebig man.

      Delete
  2. I knew not.
    Berkley is home to some of my extended family. I envy you visiting.
    Did you know that there is now a new type of chocolate? Ruby Chocolate. I tried it in a KitKat and it has promise.
    On the allergy front I had a course of desensitising injections twenty years ago which gave me my life back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew - I'm relieved that my smartest of bloggies didn't know this either. (I'd have been humbled had you all known.) I hadn't heard of or seen Ruby Chocolate. Thank you, EC. It looks pristine. I must try it.

      A few of my friends get an allergy shot, and that helps a lot. Gonna call my doc/nurse and find out if I can get one.

      Delete
  3. Probably heard it before but wouldn't have remembered.
    Sorry about the allergies. Pills and snorting sprays is all I know. You could move, but every location has its set of allergy-inducing plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the other thing that blew me away, Alex. These kids not only processed, but retained, that unusual 4-syllable word.

      Thank you. Apparently Chico is one of the worst spots in the US for plant allergies. I never had allergies before I moved here.

      Delete
  4. Ray is a snot face this time of year. And chocolate does not seem to be a cure. I did not know the formula - other than keep stuffing into my face. Take care and sniffle away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne. You take care, and stock up on tissue for Ray.

      Delete
  5. So the next time I am in a candy store, I should ask for C7H8N.... Oh well, I think I might starve if that’s the case.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd starve too. Good thing we don't have to remember any of that nonsense to get a fix, Sage.

      Delete
  6. Could get a hazmat suit for the allergies.

    I think I heard it before but never remembered it one bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even thought about the possibility that chocolate has a chemical formula. The mere thought detracts from its appeal, right?

      Thanks, Pat. I'll check ebay for a Hazmat suit.

      Delete
  7. I never knew this. I would have failed miserably! Ah well, you learn something new every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very very disappointed in you. I just lost a little respect for you. Tsk tsk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness there was already plenty of respect to spare, PTM. You did get that chocolate cake I sent you, right?
      =)

      Delete
  9. Chemical formula?!? Everyone know chocolate is made by the gods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but they prefer the politically correct title of Goddesses (with a capital 'g'), Mitchell.
      Smiles.

      Delete
  10. I learn something new every day! And not just because I forgot so much overnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. PHEW. My smartest of bloggy friends didn't know either. I'm relieved. Can you believe those young whipper snappers in Berkeley knew this?

      Delete
  11. I have heard the word "Theobromine" somewhere along in my life, but my gray matter did not come up with it when I tried to summon it. Sounds like you had fun. The flowers are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not an easy word to recall. Well, apparently it is for the young Berkeley-ites.
      Thanks, Connie.

      Delete
  12. Look on the bright side, snorting things OUT of your nostrils would be far less socially acceptable.
    So, there's that.
    Take heart. Winter is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, does that mean that all men named Theo are sweet and delicious? That, combined with bromine? Have you ever smelled bromine? (don't bother - you don't want to.) Nice nasturtiums in the bottom picture. I have no idea what the flowers in the top picture are, but they obviously don't grow around here. "Around here" being upstate New York.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't met a Theo to be able to confirm or deny, have you, Alana? By the way, thank you for commenting. I love your name - always kinda wanted Alana to be my first and not my middle name.
      We have a lot of those flowers around here, but I'm not sure what they're called either.
      A great week to you in beautiful upstate NY. (It really is beautiful, from what I recall from a trip ages ago).

      Delete