InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Monday, March 30, 2015

Woman on the Verge, Meeting Prince Charming

   Seemed I'd finally found my Prince Charming.
   We met on a camping trip planned by mutual friends.
   I arrived late, the passenger of a lengthy car trip with Mr. Camptastic, who discussed the merits of a framed vs unframed (or is it vice versa?) backpack, while I fell asleep.
   My gal pal, Shira greeted me upon arrival, then introduced me to Justin. The two of them had set-up a tent for me. I had no camping equipment of my own. Still don't. [I bring the s'more ingredients whenever I camp. That's about it. That's all you need, I figure.]
   Here's the scene from my to-be-published book, Woman on the Verge of Paradise.
   I hope you enjoy. Have a good week, as we ask March, "Why must you leave so soon?"     
   Take care, my friends.~~~~~~



   Shira led me to a picnic table in the middle of the campsite.
   There, a man focused peacefully on an open book that was propped against a lantern. He appeared short and with fair features.     
   Justin wore a tan cowboy hat and dark leather jacket zipped up just enough to reveal a silver Jewish Star that graced a modest chain.  I’ve never been drawn to the Boot Barn type before, but he looked like a nice guy. And he gets bonus points for being Jewish, I thought.
   Shira broke his silence. "Justin, this is Robyn. Robyn, Justin."
   He placed the opened book face down. Justin’s eyes twinkled of an amber or hazel, I couldn’t quite tell at night. His smile was warm, as was his handshake.
   I looked down at his book and immediately knew that a connection with Justin not only invited, but required, my banter. "'Fabulous Small Jews by Joseph Epstein?' Talk about a short book. Are you in there?"
   Shira chuckled at my quip and looked towards the tents, likely contemplating leaving us alone.
   "I don’t know yet," he smirked. "I’m still reading." 
   "What’s that?" Shira asked, pointing at a mound of something resting near the fire-pit several yards away.
   Justin and I watched her walk over to it. Shira giggled, while she lifted two little things that looked like stunted logs.
   "Well, there’s a bootless little cowboy running around these here parts," she joked, walking back to us with a pair of children’s cowboy boots.
   "Oh, those are so cute and tiny!" I remarked.
   "Might they be yours, Miss Robyn?" Justin asked.
   "Very funny, Mr. Fabulous Small Jew."
   And so it had begun.
   At last.
 

36 comments:

  1. All over tiny cowboy boots. There is a lot of tiny in there though lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that scene! And the tiny boots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little tiny cowboy boots led to great big things.
    Thanks, guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to reading this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoJo. I'm looking forward to getting it out there and wish it didn't take so long.

      Delete
  5. You are a shameful temptress.
    (Do what you do do well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, I'm shameless too, EC. I just fake it - as women do. Smiles.

      Delete
  6. Hey, I thought size didn't matter. I guess it does... When it comes to boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen, you seem too bright to believe that line about size not mattering. I mean, of course not. It only matters when it comes to boots.

      Delete
  7. funny. You have a good week too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds promising! Do you have a publication date set yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. Not yet, I should have one by the end of May. Waiting to hear from prospective publishers, if it's a "no go" I'll publish asap (once I have the cover). If it's a "yes" that will be great, except that it'll be a good year or so. Sheesh. I hope I'm still alive to publish it.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb. We had an awkward yet easy banter with each other, until...well, you'll need to read the book. =)

      Delete
    2. You got "Deb" on the brain? She wears the purple gloves. I on the other hand go nude (smile). Ha!

      I'll read it.

      Delete
  10. I think you have a knack for dialogue. This could easily, based on the current draft, be a stage play. I was really into the natural back-and-forth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your praise means a lot, Pickleope Von Pickleope, as you have an ease with words. You're also one of my favorite humorists, along with the beer guys, of course. Thank you. I envisioned it on screen (kinda like a Sex and the City movie -- without the sex or the city), when I wrote it.

      Delete
  11. Hahaha if the first thing you'd told me when you met me was that I'm small, you probably would have lost me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Michael. It gets worse. In a scene that follows this one, he ridicules my height. I'm in a quandary because I have these intense feelings, yet I'm hurt by his insults...What will I do? You'll have to read the book. I'm a teasing b*tch. Sorry.

      Delete
    2. That's understandable, and it may work ;)

      Delete
  12. He sounds like a charming little fellow, Robyn! Did you ask him whether he rode a pony or used a step-ladder to mount his horse?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, the missed opportunities. Where were you when I needed you to feed me lines, GB?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're teasing us. Now we can't wait to read more ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate being a tease, Vanessa. Well, maybe that's not true. But I do wish this write-and-then-publish-a-book thingy moved faster. I'll know more in six-ish weeks. Thank you.

      Delete
  15. Is "small Jew" different from "a little Jewish"? Why do I sense he turns out to be small in other ways?

    Ooh, I read an article in world news today about a man nearly drowning in a container of melted chocolate. I immediately thought of you. Will find the link and send it on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good questions, Mitchell. Some small Jews are a little Jewish. So there's that. And no comment about him being small in other ways, except to ask - How is it that you're so perceptive?

      Thanks for thinking of me. I hope the man is okay. I've heard of similar situations. It's actually horrifying to envision, and what a waste of good chocolate.

      Delete
  16. Bantering from the get-go is good. Lighthearted makes me happy. ;) And my 2nd oldest lived in cowboy boots for about a year... cowboy boots w/shorts, swimtrunks, underwear... hahaha Good luck w/the book publish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cute, Rosey, but only if he was a kid at the time. He was a kid, right? I hope so. Smiles.

      Thank you for the well wishes.

      Delete
  17. Sounds like a romance in the making. I like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I liked this, congrats on a story well done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, s'mores are the only necessity!!

    I'm liking the start of this story. I can't wait to read your book!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, ladies, and thanks for confirming my statement about s'mores, BabySis.

    ReplyDelete