InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Happy Passover!





Oops, I missed the label in the right hand corner when I grabbed this box yesterday: NOT FOR PASSOVER. Yet if matzah (the "bread of affliction" eaten during the Passover seder as a symbol of the Jews'/Hebrews' sustenance during my people's Exodus from Egypt) isn't for Passover, I'm at a loss. Perhaps the manufacturer should've invoked a rabbi's input before before sending this box to print. A more appropriate label would read: "Not for Passover for those observing our deeply meaningful dietary laws that have enriched the Passover meal for thousands of years. If, on the other hand, you're the woman seeking matza with some flavor, and a decent blog photo, this, you should buy for Passover. Eat, eat, and eat again. Sorry it's salty but we know you'll drown out the salty egg-onion flavor with chocolate anyway."


I'm usually better about reading such labels. For years, I hosted Passover seders (the service and meal combination). I consistently welcomed at least as many non-Jews as I did Jews. Everyone seemed interested, and I even had to say "sorry but no" on occasion to prospective guests of guests.

Not only is the holiday layered with powerful ritual, lively discussion, and delicious food, its purpose is to appreciate our many freedoms and, ultimately, renew our commitment to bring peace on earth. It's a universal goal and one we can all appreciate.


Whatever your faith, may you experience gratitude for your blessings at this time and always. We've countless freedoms to celebrate.

Happy Passover! 


28 comments:

  1. Happy Passover, my friend. I have celebrated a few times, myself. I love the service and the meal.

    Any yeah, I got caught by those labels more than a few times, myself. Diet Cherry Pepsi...Eeewww!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your more appropriate label is hilarious!
    Recently our church hosted someone who showed us the meaning behind every step of the passover dinner. It was really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Passover! A few years ago there was a preacher who prepared a meal that he said was at the first passover (I am not sure but took his word for it.). I enjoyed the experience and to would love to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Passover!! Enjoy the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only all days people would continue to think as such, the planet may not be so out of touch, happy passover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really, we've been afflicted for so long. Enough suffering already! It's time to head straight for the chocolate-covered matzoh. You know you want it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa, thank you my friend. Diet Cherry Pepsi sounds like the definition of "Eeewww!" Sorry you misread that label.

    Alex, thanks so much. It is truly fascinating and full of themes we can all appreciate.

    Thanks, MsA. Happy Easter.

    KD, glad you experienced it. I'm sure it was as authenitc as any.

    cest, thanks so much - for the comment and visit.

    Pat, so true. Well said. Thanks.

    Tammy, damn straight, girlfriend. You know I already had some too. And I'm about to head out for a humungous seder din.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post Robyn. Sorry I ahve been scarce this week but A-Z and work have kept me hoppin'. Happy Passover to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Passover to you!
    I know nothing of the Passover dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Passover Robyn !

    The deep and moving symbolism behind the Seder and the messages of freedom and peace are universal !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find the history and traditions of the Jewish people to be fascinating. Happy Passover.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oy vey, the dreaded cream crackers! I knew a Jewish guy who said they always made him constipated. I'm sure you're too smart to suffer that fate, Robyn. Have a great one and give my regards to the children of Israel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blessings and peace – always grateful for the first, always hoping for the second...

    From one chocolate-filled home to another – Happy Passover!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Whatever your faith, may you experience gratitude for your blessings at this time and always. We've countless freedoms to celebrate."
    We do, Robyn! Back at you, dearie.
    :)
    --Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Passover Robyn. I've always wanted to attend but none of my Jewish friends partake in the rituals.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Passover Robyn!
    No matter what the label says, eating these things is like eating sawdust!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Robyn. I love the depth and serious nature of the Seder... so filled with symbolism and truth. I think that is why it's so attractive to so many seekers.

    Happy Passover!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had no idea you were Jewish Robyn, have a Happy Passover too even though I guess it's over now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amen, Robyn! And I loved your more appropriate label! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, dear blog friends. I'm making rounds to visit you as soon as possible. I'm saying this because this is a generic comment versus personal response to each of you. =)

    A wonderful Easter to all who celebrate.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Passover Robyn! I was once invited to Passover and I loved it.
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy passover, enjoy your matzos irrespective of the instructions or long thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is funny that people would want to buy matzah for any time but Passover. I thought of you on Friday night when my friend brought out chocolate mint covered matzah crackers. They really did taste like the Girl Scouts' thin mints! Happy Passover Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  24. HUGS!!!! You are the best my friend!

    John

    oh- LYMI!!!!

    ReplyDelete