InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Thursday, July 13, 2023

Step Aside Barbie World, Bring Back Skipper! But Stick Around, Ryan Gosling!

Dear Sillies,

What's with all the Barbie World hulabaloo? Actually, it does look to be an entertaining movie. Thing is, I wasn't a Barbie girl. First is the worst, afterall. But the second sister? She's far and away the best. Bring back Skipper!

My brother cut my Skipper's hair when we were youngins. I was, naturally, enraged. Horrified. Never let it go (clearly). Skipper's hair would NEVER grow back. Sigh. Now, I'd love to give bro a high-five. I mean, come on. She's cute with a bob. It was a brilliant move, far ahead of his time. 

Skipper's the cuter, smarter, sassier of 'em. Yet the second child gets neglected. Maybe because she's just plain hotter AND cooler than Barbie. And that streak of purple hair puts Barbie's basic blonde to shame. Look at her. She obviously has more personality too. 


Let's not forget the other Skipper played by Alan Hale, Captain Jonas Grumby, from Gilligan's Island. "Skippppperrrr!" shouted by Gilligan every twelve minutes. So manly and competent, he never thought about a way to get off the island. I think he had the hots for MaryAnn. We all did. Am I right? She looked like Skipper!

In sum, I'm campaigning for a Skipper movie in Alan Hale's blessed memory. Ryan Gosling gets to play Ken in this one too. He's adorable. See his dancing on the Mickey Mouse Club in the 1990s. Charming cutie!

Naturally, I'll play Skipper, who'll go more ginger for this to-be hit. Can't wait.

Cheers, chocolates, and love to you!

14 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to the Barbie movie too. Should have some pretty biting satire in it, judging from the trailers and teasers. My sister had a Skipper doll but hers had long blonde hair. I had a Midge doll (Barbie's best friend). Apparently when Mattel loosened up about 1950s morality and gender roles (long after my time playing with dolls), they produced a pregnant Midge who could pop out a little baby. I've read rumours that in the movie, Midge gets knocked up by Allan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, that's funny. I'd forgotten or didn't know about Midge. Now I really do need to see the movie. Thank you for the scoop, and for commenting.

      Delete
  2. The only Barbie that ever excited my interest was Trailer Trash Barbie. I never saw her (if she existed) but the name made me smile then and now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the name makes me smile too. Hm, I must do a bit of research. You've inspired me to search for her, after putting on gloves, an oxygen mask...Thanks, EC.

      Delete
  3. You would be a perfect Skipper, Robyn! ☺ I had the whole family as a kid: Barbie, Ken, Skipper and Midge. Still, can't say I'm enthralled about this movie, but might watch it out of curiousity. I was surprised to learn that our homeboy Simu Liu is also in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to your comment, I looked up Simu's scene. It's ridiculously silly. He's a cute one too. Thank you, Debbie. xx

      Delete
  4. Don't know anything about Barbie or Skipper but MaryAnn was hot, hot, hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was, Alex. She came across as so pure and innocent, but I bet she had a naughty side. ;-)
      Thanks for chiming in, friend.

      Delete
  5. My wife has a small collection of Barbies. If the kids don't know what to get her for an occasion they get her another Barbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What fun. Does she have a Barbie van or airplane or dreamhome? That would be even more fun, Mike.

      Delete
  6. The movie should be fun. I do like Margot and Ryan. So much pink! I was never a Barbie gal or into pink. Any dolls I had, I did hack their hair. Never good with scissors. Skipper was the fun one - so yes, that is SO you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne. I'm honored to be or be like Skipper!

      Delete
  7. I never had a Barbie - I had a Sindy, the UK's slightly plumper, slightly more wholesome version. I was very jealous of my Barbie-owning friends which surprises me now because I was a bit of a tomboy and my favourite toy of all time was a Tonka truck.

    The film looks fun, though. I might be tempted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kudos to you for being more a Tonka truck. My brothers like those too. Now I like them way more than Barbie.
      Thanks, Annalisa. Be and stay well.

      Delete