InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Monday, October 10, 2022

Blonde, One Degree From Stardom

Dear Sillies,

How's October treating you? Wait, October? How did that happen?Well, Halloween's around the corner, and -hopefully- that's fun to anticipate. For now, I have another fun thing to share.

Do you have Netflix? If so, have you seen "Blonde"? It's quite heavy, but very well done. Ana de Armas does an incredible job portraying a tortured, overly objectified Marilyn Monroe.


Here's a firsthand account by an actor in the movie. He's smiling (in a somewhat devious manner) to the lead actress' (Ana de Armas') left, to your right as you look at the screen. 

   "The movie is fictional, and extremely dark and depressing.   But my scene was easy to watch.   I didn't know I would be sitting next to the lead actress.   She was nice.   She introduced herself when she came on the scene to sit next to me.   I just said hello and waited for direction.   I will say Ana de Armas was really focused on set.   She didn't seem to break character between takes.  It was also cool watching Adran Brody close in person.  I didn't get to talk to him.    
   It was cool when I was asked to go on the stage for the second part of the scene.   They also asked us to smoke herbal cigarettes on stage.  I refused.   I told them I didn't smoke.   I didn't think It would look good.   They didn't push it.  They ended up cutting the takes with the other actors smoking anyway.   I also got fed Prime Rib for lunch.  We were treated well.  
   Brad Pitt is one of the producers of this film.  He wasn't there. The film was shot in 2019.  It took a while to get released.   One day I just saw it pop up on Netflix." 

That someone I quoted is my brother, Jonathan. Cool, right?! And good on him for refusing to smoke the herbs. And good on production for respecting his refusal to smoke the herbs. But too bad he didn't meet Brad Pitt. 

Let me know if you see or saw the movie, along with your thoughts.

Be well, friends.
A sweet October to you!

23 comments:

  1. No Netflix here. And I really don't do movies.
    Hooray for being able to quote Jonathan - who I know is never far from your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool that your brother was an extra! I haven't watched this yet, but I do intend to. Ana de Armas is an OUTSTANDING actress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's incredible. I hadn't heard of her before. Now to see what else she's starred in. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Is he to the actress's left or right...it doesn't take much for me to get confused. Tears pretty cool that he eas an extra on this film. I have heard good things but also very vad things. There doesn't seem to much of a middle ground. I think the negativity is how heavy the film is and bleak I want to see it but I don't have Netflix so I will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you look at the screen, he's too the right. Sorry to confuse you, hon. He's bald. My bro is follicle challenged. A good actor nonetheless. It's gotten very mixed reviews, yes. Unfortunately, it dropped from the top 10 spot after only one week. Darnit.

      Delete
  4. That is really awesome! And good on him for refusing to smoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm proud of him for that. We're a family of non smokers. Thanks, Alex.

      Delete
  5. I watched Blonde. Ana De Armas is very good. I have mixed emotions about the movie itself. Pretty cool that your brother was on set, but it would be even cooler if he met Brad and sent him to my house.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried, hon. I tried. Well not really, but it's a fun thought. Brad doesn't know what he's missing!

      Delete
  6. This is a cool post and sweet how your brother (in your heart) gave his impressions. I started the movie. Good acting, but indeed, rather dark. I need to revisit it in the right frame of mind.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too intense for me. We watched a bit of it before and after his scene, but I was shaken. That's the sign of a good movie, I think. Thank you, my friend.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It's very cool, Diane. He'd nearly forgotten about it until he saw that it's out on Netflix, 3 years after the filming.

      Delete
  8. I haven't heard of the movie, but it sounds interesting and to know of your brother's connection makes it more so... As for Marylin Monroe, I laughed when I saw the meme created in Ukraine showing the explosion on the Crimean bridge with her singing "Happy birthday, Mr. President" (as the explosion occurred a few hours after Putin's birthday ended).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an awesome meme, Jeff. I hadn't seen it. Kudos to Ukraine. Be well, and thanks for chiming in.

      Delete
  9. I haven't watched it. I wasn't sure it would be any good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's excellent, Mary. People just don't want to think of Marilyn as a tortured soul. She surely was. Even interviews with her indicated this. The movie takes things into a dark, sad and perhaps unreal direction. Very heavy stuff.

      Delete
  10. I swear last I knew it was April! Then BAM October. Not that I'm arguing, October is by far my favorite month.
    I haven't seen Blonde, I probably won't watch it if I'm being honest. I've always had a love for Marilyn and grew up with people telling me she was a sleazy gross person, but I never believed it.

    Ash @ Essentially Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ash. I don't believe it either. She was more a victim of...Hollywood and misogyny and...I think she was a very pained soul.
      Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  11. I have not watched it and my wife hasn't mentioned it yet. I'll wait for her to bring it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect strategy, Mike. It's dropped from the spotlight, so the wife likely won't mention it. But if you think she has a new hair style or outfit or anything of the sort, do mention it.
      Cheers.

      Delete
  12. We do have Netflix, but that wouldn't be my type of show. I know she did have a difficult life though.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete