InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

L.A. Stories

Dear Sillies,
   You know that teacher who left a positive, lasting impression? I was fortunate enough to have a handful of them. It's not a private, charter, or well-known school, but Kentwood Elementary (in Westchester, Los Angeles) was a sanctuary for me and many. The teachers cared so much that they still do - decades later. We're still their "kids." They follow our progress and dips. They cheer for and support us. They express their pride and concern, to this day.
   Several years ago, I reconnected on Facebook with my former third grade Teacher. She suggested a reunion when I next visit LA. I kept saying "yes, I'll plan something." But I kept not following through until I decided it was time. We need to appreciate people while they're still with us, after-all.
   We made a date and agreed that even if it would only be the two of us, it'd be great. Look what happened! Party of 40!
 



   My wonderful third grade teacher 45 years ago, sits at the head of the table. Two people to her left, my former sixth grade teacher. (I'm halfway down the row to the right. My brother's between my former sixth grade teacher and the woman in the orange shirt. My sis is two people to the right of me). 
   It's very fulfilling to honor people who played an instrumental role in my becoming the person I am. The chatter, re-connections, new connections, and love that filled the room has helped keep me afloat ever since. 


   As I'm going more personal than usual, remember my little cutie-pie nephew? He's the chocolate-faced love-bug on my right sidebar. Yeah, not so little anymore. He's a pre-teen -- a wicked smart, beautiful, multi-talented sweetheart who NEVER brags about having gotten taller than his Auntie in the past few years. I appreciate that about him most of all.
 

   After a scary car drive home from LA to Chico (with "!" light on for a bulk of the journey, proceeding my having been stranded in Lost Hills with an overheated engine), it was time to breakup with Luna. She'd taken me all over for 15 years, 191,000 miles worth of rides. Our final trek having been what it was, though, compelled me trade her for a younger, prettier model.
   Meet Charm (my third car). She's a toddler. It wasn't love at first site, but I'm falling quickly. We've been together for 4 days now.
    Charm's a Ford CMax Hybrid. I love that she's so environmentally concerned. She even tells me "Thank you for driving a hybrid" whenever I let her sleep. How thoughtful.

   All in all, it's been a very good, busy, love infused past month or so.

   Til next time, my Dears.
   Be safe, warm, and well.


23 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I've had a lot of great teachers. So many that went above and beyond just teaching me something new.

    Your nephew is a handsome fella! Love the curls. Much like his Aunt Robyn's!

    Love the car too. My husband and I always keep our cars for years and years. Yours is a shiny pretty one! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing to have long relationships with one's cars. I'm hoping this one is a 'happily forever after' one.
      Cheers.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful gathering! Honored teacher, lovely you, delightful company and a new car --wheee!(excuse me, I always say wheee! after writing "new car". I delight in your connection with a great teacher. I too have a close friend, Willie, who I've retained as my grammarian since we met in 1965. He was my high school English teacher. It's a great feeling to know we're still pals. This year he turned 82 and I shall turn 70. He's almost got me writing good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost, Geo. Give it two more decades, and you'll be even gooder.

      Keep on keeping on, my friend.

      Delete
  3. that teacher gathering is very cool and they must feel great looking at all of you achieving successes. Neat!
    And glad you are safe in your new hybrid toddler - I wish you many safe miles ahead. (and that nephew of yours is a cutie - pretty eyes and sweet smile).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. He really is a very sweet, caring boy. I'm still madly in love with him.

      Delete
  4. What a great idea to get together with former teachers and classmates! I'm glad the reunion attracted a lot of people!

    Love the 2 other stories too! Enjoy your new car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was and still am blown away by how well the reunion went.

      I appreciate all of your comment, Debra.

      Delete
  5. That's wonderful you connected with so many people.

    Your nephew got big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is tall, even compared to the average kid. How'd he do that? Smiles.

      Delete
  6. He's sure grown indeed. Duh, that's what kids do lol

    A shiny new car is a win, hopefully with no issues for a long time.

    That is a great idea indeed. There are plenty of teachers that I recall. Some I see around, some I have no idea if they are alive or dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, kids (1) grow and (2) share...germs. They share germs.

      It's pretty amazing to reconnect with teachers from so long ago, Pat.

      Delete
  7. I've gotten together with former classmates but not teachers. What a wonderful idea. Sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The car actually thanks you for driving a hybrid? Sounds very Californian :). My Jeep Wrangler doesn't speak but it does cut through the snow like butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yes, Bathwater. It doesn't get much more Californian than that.

      Your Jeep sounds like a powerful winner.

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful gathering and reunion of students and teachers! Looks like you all had a great time. Congratulations on the new car--nice! Sweet picture of you and your nephew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie. Lots of sweet memories from that trip.

      Delete
  10. It's always fun to go back and meet out friends and teachers. I'll be envious of your gas mileage in your new car.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty nice, Sage - 40 mpg on the streets.
      Thanks again for supporting me on the way home from LA. That was lucky timing for me.
      Be safe and well.

      Delete
  11. YOu can't see me in the pic but I am hiding under the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where my dessert went. Well, I hope you liked it, PTM.

      Delete
  12. في المنطقة الشمالية التي تضم محافظتي تبوك وحائل نقدم خدمات متميزة خاصة بنقل العفش من مكان الى آخر بمنتهى الاحترافية والدقة في التعامل مع ممتلكات العملاء
    - شركه نقل عفش بتبوك
    - شركه نقل عفش بحائل
    تجدنا في منطقة الجنوب في كل المحافظات نقدم خدمة نقل عفش مع الفك والتركيب بواسطة عمالة متميزة وفنيين خبرة وسيارات مؤمنة
    - شركه نقل عفش بابها
    - شركه نقل عفش بخميس مشيط
    وتلك الشركات تعتمد على الخبرة والكفاءة في تنفيذ أعمال نقل العفش في الباحة ومحايل عسير وتعتمد على افضل النجارين المتخصصين
    - نقل عفش بالباحة
    - نقل عفش بمحايل عسير
    وفي جازان ونجران وشرورة نعتمد على افضل سيارات نقل الاثاث المجهزة والمقفلة للمحافظة على الاثاث من التلف والغبار
    - نقل عفش بجازان
    - نقل عفش بنجران
    - نقل عفش بشروره

    ReplyDelete