InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Woman on the Verge of Paradise: Remembering Paradise

 
Sign reads "May you find Paradise to be all its name implies."

Thanks for joining me on the verge of Paradise, as this chapter of my life unfolds. If you're new to Life by Chocolate, or just madly trying to catch up with your blog reading (Can we ever truly catch up?), this non-fictional story begins here. My last Paradise post is this one. While I strive for accuracy regarding place and time, I alter names as I see fit.  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Remembering Paradise

Sometimes it’s easy to remember Paradise is nearby, like when
I awake safe and warm.

But then I forget when
The neighbors blast Rush Limbaugh on their radio.

And I remember again when
I notice my favorite bumper sticker on someone else’s car: “Well behaved women rarely make history.”

But then I forget when
A young family waits patiently for help at the free clinic, the children appearing sick and disheveled.

And I remember again when
I spy kids delightfully running and playing in the yard behind the clinic.

But then I forget when
Loneliness hits. This is not the life I always dreamed of.

And I remember again when
I write.

But then I forget when
I stare at the screen, frozen by page fright.

And I remember again when
The words flow out of me.

But then I forget when
I have nobody to share the journey with.

And I remember again when
I receive the message: “Soandso from Suchandsuch dating site wants to meet you!”

But then I forget when
I read Soandso’s ad: “I’m heavely tattooed. If you can’t deal with that, move on. I like going out to bars and stuff but I also like staying in for quite nights on the farm.”

And I remember again when
I don’t respond.

But then I forget when
The winds and rain start back up.

And I remember again when
The sun comes out.

But then I forget when
I learn of good, innocent people suffering here and across the world.

And I remember again when
I awake safe and warm.

28 comments:

  1. I'm glad you remembered again in the last line. Some day, I'm going to learn about this 'Rush Limbaugh' whose name I've often seen in print - but not this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the bumper sticker "Well behaved women seldom make history"
    (I also like Rush Limbaugh :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone should have warned us that the train ride to Paradise was a wild roller-coaster ride. I too love that quote and even put it on a composite photographic art piece. You can find it here http://artisticcomposition.blogspot.com/2011/04/beauty-of-words-photographs.html
    if you like it go ahead and copy and save it to use on the internet. Have a great day and may you remember more than forget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are we the same person? ;) I can really relate to this post and if it is any indication of your blog as a whole, I have a feeling we are going to be good bloggy friends.

    Thanks for finding me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GB, I'm surprised you haven't heard of him in the jungle. He's got strong views. I do too, but they're at a different end of the spectrum. xo

    Darlene, thanks. Oops, I knew I was taking a chance; I rarely go political to any extent. No offense. We all have different tastes. ;0)

    Nita, thanks! I just saved the image. It's fantastic. xo

    Jennifer, so glad to meet you, new friend. Thank you. [~;

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love your "page fright". Great twist on cliche usage. :)

    ♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥
    Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?
    YA Paranormal Romance, Darkspell coming fall of 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is really wonderful.

    life isn't as easy as they said it would be.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you, I remember again when I write. And read your stuff. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Rush. I occasionally listen to Rush. I sometimes (not always) agree with Rush. But, Rush routinely gets on my nerves. Paradise and Rush are mutually exclusive terms.
    @Gorilla Bananas: really, don't bother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so poignant and beautiful! I'm glad it ended on remembering but the pain in between, especially the loneliness, is so hard to bear! Please remember that we are out here. We hear your voice and we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't like listening to Rush Limbaugh, either. But probably not for the same reasons.

    It looks like the Sun is now out for the duration. That will mean Paradise should be a little more pleasant than Chico... relatively speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I relate so much to this post! I loved it, just beautiful. And I cracked up at the Rush Limbaugh line!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beth, you are so sweet. The blog community really is part of my Paradise. Thanks for that reminder! I thought to add lines about forgetting when I'm having computer/blogger probs then remembering when I read the comments. (I don't know why I didn't. I needed to end it at some point.)

    IT, the weather in Chico and Paradise is really nice right now. I'm gearing up for the heat in a month or so. I plan to hit Bidwell (pools/creek) a lot.

    Dawn, thanks. That's sweet. I'm glad.

    Al, I almost told GB that too. But he might find Rush entertaining.

    Julie, thanks. When people can relate to my writing, I'm in Paradise.

    Be well, all!
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, there are Rush lovers everywhere.

    What beautiful lines about the place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very well done Robyn! I'm with Elizabeth, I love your "page fright" line! I'm excited to be your 400th follower! Thanks for finding me and I look forward to seeing more of you! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great contrasts here, and I like the way you've divided it up into short lines. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. THANK YOU, dearie, for the blogroll thing! Your comment was so exceedingly nice...and to add me is just so sweet.I have been having a truly awful week and your kindness helped so much. I had to comment here because Big Brother at work watches my website, I'm sure ;)
    I love your stuff too lady! So versatile, such a unique style! I'll be adding you to mine as soon as I'm not on a phone ;).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much, new friends and especially Julie - my 400th! Woohoo. You prompted a happy Rawknrobyn dance here, Julie.

    Dawn, I'm glad. You're great. It's Friday so you'll be free of Big Brother soon. (I know how miserable that is.)

    Have a weekend with doses of Paradise, all. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just right now realized that your posts aren't showing up in my reader.

    And I remember Baby Sister telling me she had the same problem. I'm going to have to investigate this because I've been missing out on your life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Noelle. Yeah, I can't seem to resolve the issue. I'm working on it, but I think it's a quirk attached to the browser-blogger problem. Some people are getting my post feeds. Some (including ME) aren't. xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this so very much, Robyn. It made me slightly sad though because it made me ask myself what makes me feel safe and warm and the answer is a snow storm. Weird, right? As much as I have always hated driving in it and shoveling it, cleaning off my car, etc. I will not have that feeling again living in our new state. Sorry if this comment is a bummer. I think it's that kinda night or something. Hope you're well. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really good Robyn! I love the "well behaved women seldom make history" line... So true!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful and wistful...and yet a sense of strength in these verses...your wordplay is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice and amazing blog!!! Keep sharing.

    vpn

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Francesca, for the visit and compliment. I really appreciate it.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  26. I loved this. I love reading about your life. :)

    ReplyDelete