InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Fun & Games Blogfest


The one and only Alex J. Cavanaugh is hosting this party and the rules are simple: list your three favorite games and why. Here we go:

1) BALDERDASH - It's a zany, creative word game that you don't want to stop playing once you've started. The goal is to write believable definitions for obscure words and to guess the correct definitions.

Say, for example, the word is "frogmarch". Is this
(a) to hustle forward with one's arms pinned behind;
(b) a mellow version of the Irish Toad Parade. During the frogmarch, all the town's single ladies line up to kiss the frogs as they march by; or
(c) A 24/7 intensive training taught by Jillian and Miss Piggy. The goal of the frogmarch is to condition amphibious creatures to step gracefully, versus leap erratically, from lilypad to lilypad. ?

The game is a lot more challenging than this, but if you guessed (a) you're ready for it. If you guessed (b) or (c), I challenge you to a game of #3 below.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) BOGGLE - I don't think I've ever won a round, but I'm still a boggle addict. Gotta love finding as many words as possible on the grid of 16 lettered dice, under time constraints. There's always a "Why-didn't-I-see-that? "- dope- slap-to-the-forehead (albeit with gentle forgiveness) moment or five. Then, there's the "Let's-play-again-'cuz-this-time-I'm-going-to-really-win " declaration. Something about this cycle is masochistically fun.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3) ANTS IN THE PANTS - Really, who thought of making a game out of an everyday silly expression? It's both stupid and brilliant. I was babysitting a kid who was driving me bonkers until we started playing Ants in the Pants. How could I not laugh and enjoy his company as we flicked colored plastic ants (that look more like mutant caterpillars) into a big weird spotted dog's pants? I couldn't not laugh. It's rather bizarre and ingenious and takes no brains at all. (Note: I am better at this game than the other two.) I strongly recommend Ants in the Pants for every adult, and kid too. We all need to laugh at, and partake in, the nonsensical.



Have a fun Monday and week.
Thanks for visiting!

31 comments:

  1. i know i say this a lot, but this time i mean it. this is the best blog in the world...

    ReplyDelete
  2. All fun games! I love boggle also.
    Still no photos for me, I'm gonna try a different browser and see what happens...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the Ants in the Pants picture!! I used to play that all the time as a kid, but I had totally forgotten about it. Great blast from the past. :D

    I'm not familiar with Balderdash but it sounds really fun. I don't think I've ever won a round of Boggle either LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love boggle! That's my game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ants in the Pants would be especially fun for midgets. The loser could be forced to wear the pants with the ants in them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cribbage - because something that my husband and I can play together.
    Plants vs Zombies - I play this on my IPad and it is totally addictive...
    Scrabble - I am currently playing 3 games with my sisters via IPad and FB - one sis lives in Boston and the other several miles away - it keeps us close and it's fun...
    I've Become My Mother
    I've Become My Mother facebook

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to try Balderdash! Bet my wife wouldn't enjoy it though.
    Thanks for participating in the blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like awesome fun and good time. love ya, fun lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of those are great. I've played all of those. My family and I had such a rowdy game of Balderdash once. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg, i forgot about ants in the pants. love it!

    FourthGradeNothing.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ants in the Pants! LOL!! I've always wanted to play that one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg - must try this Ants in the Pants! My son would love it - well, me too. And Boggle?! Grew up on that - awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ants in the Pants sounds like a blast. I have played Balderdash. I'd like to play it again. Maybe a friend has it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE Ants in the Pants! It's nice to meet you. I'm a new follower from the blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG!! Ants in the Pants! LOL Such memories I have of this game from childhood. This picture is awesome!

    I love the title of your blog. Chocolate is one of my very favorite things on this planet. Death to anyone who comes between me and the cocoa goodness. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, all, especially for humoring me about Ants in the Pants. I only played it as an adult. It's a blast.

    I really appreciate my new friends and followers too!
    Cheers.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Balderdash is the best! What a fun post :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. How cool is your blog! Chocolate!!! Mmmmmmmm!

    Your games are awesome! And original! :D
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun lost of games!Balderdash I have never heard of but I play a game on my blog with everyone each month called Gibberish, you should check it out

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow Robyn! Methinks we are sisters. My favorite game as alittle kid was Ants in the Pants, and my fave game as a teen was Boggle!
    Right now, I am enjoying a Scrabble game, forget the name of it, Scrabble Dash or something, where you mix up the little electronic letters to make words. Also, I lurrrvvveee Skip Bo!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely adore word games, Ms. Robyn, glad to see I'm not the only one still playing them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We used to have Balderdash. I'd forgotten all about that game! Never heard of ants in your pants but it looks hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those look like Homer Simpson's pants.
    D'oh!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ants in the pants! My boys aren't quite old enough to play it yet but I'll be sure to buy them it when they're a little older.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ants in the pants does sound brilliant. I'm sure it's not just for kids. ;-)

    I love the title of your blog, BTW. Being Belgian, I just couldn't not notice it in the list!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ants in the Pants. LOL. LOL.

    Had forgotten about that one. It was an absolute riot!

    Took a peek at your poetry. LOVED "Divinity!"

    Good stuff. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ants in your Pants... I have ants in my house, does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ants in the pants ...sounds fun, a new game to show off to my nephews...thank you for the advanced knowledge imparted....
    yout blog feed is stuck in May, hence I missed out on posts...thought for some reason you deleted the June ones.

    ReplyDelete
  29. those are excellent choices! especially aitp - a game i actually enjoyed playing with my boys when they were little =)
    and i am about to put up my second installment of word verification definitions in my own balderdash way!
    happy belated gameblogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've never heard of that last one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. sometimes i have ants in my house. does that counts?

    i've always loved word games.

    betty xx

    ReplyDelete