InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Music Blogfest



Alex Cavanaugh (the same Alex mentioned in my last post) drew over 100 bloggers to share our music tastes with the world.

I was hesitant to participate, as I'm a music nerd. I know what I like when I hear it, but am unlikely to know anything about the song (e.g., who sings it). My preference, simply, is for music that's both easy on the ears and meaningful. Otherwise, if it makes me jump up and dance, it's a winner.

Here are my top 10 picks of the greatest songs of all time:

1) Wildflower by Skylark ~ I'm glad to draw attention to this one, as it's a little known but wonderful piece. When I first heard it in the 80's, I froze. It spoke to me, and I claimed it as my song. Admittedly, it's dark but with poetic lyrics. Here's a sample:

Let her cry, for she's a Lady
Let her dream, for she's a Child
Let the rain fall down upon her
She's a free and gentle flower, growing wild.

2) Rockin' Robin by Bobby Day ~ I'll say no more, except thanks Bobby. P.S. Um, you spelled Robyn wrong. You don't mind making a little change, do you?

3) Hotel California by The Eagles ~ I've studied the words, and it's brilliantly written. Not to mention easy on the ears.

4) All About Soul by Billy Joel ~ It really is all about soul. And Billy. And a few others.

5) Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkle ~ S&G's music is purely mesmerizing.

6) Imagine by John Lennon ~ God bless John Lennon.

7) I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womak ~ This song reads like a blessing.  Sample lyrics:

"I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean,
and when one door closes, I hope one more opens.
May you never take one single breath for granted.
God forbid love ever leaves you empty handed."

8) Crocodile Rock by Elton John ~ I have fond memories of playing musical chairs to Crocodile Rock (more than a few years ago), a most fun tune. I have to dance whenever I hear this one, even if I'm in the car.

9) Sailing by Christopher Cross ~ This one takes me away and has special meaning at this time, given I'm moving to the Paradise area.

"It's not far down to Paradise, at least it's not for me."

10) Rainbow Connection written by Paul Williams and Kenny Ascher and performed by none other than Kermit and the Muppets. I played this one on the piano as a kid. This song was nominated for an Academy Award for best song in 1979. Those Muppets are a talented crew, and so darn cute.

"...the lovers, the dreamers, and me." Great, now this tune's going through your head. Thank me anytime.

30 comments:

  1. Sadly, I only know of the Eagles song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I never have to pick a top ten... wait, that's wrong I hope I never have to list a top ten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some varied tastes! the songs that I recognize, I like a lot! It's too hard to do this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the Muppets! I loved them. Very inspiring 10 you selected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your list...but dang, I thought the first one said WILDFIRE. Tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muppets! Congratulations, Robyn - first Muppet mention of the day.
    Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will always associate Hotel California with John Turturro licking a bowling ball. Blame the Coen brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love Sounds of Silence. Great song!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your picks. I haven't heard Christopher is forever! And bopping along with the Muppets and Crocodile Rock is a favorite memory of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved everyone of yours some brought back memories which I thank you.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. heard of a few but what the heck is Skylark?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm like you--just worse. I don't know who the singer is or even what the title is for any songs I like. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. you got some great songs here from a bunch of different genres. great list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your inclusion of Rainbow Connection. I was kicking myself earlier for not having put it on my own list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooo.. sounds of silence, good pick

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Rainbow Connection and have it as my ringtone for someone that means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not only do I have Rainbow Connection in my head now, I also have Kermie floating around in there too! Thanks! lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I would start to hyperventilate if someone asked me to name the TOP 10 SONGS of all time (in all MY time, anyway). I loved your songs, though. I especially love "Sailing". It reminds me of playing outside in the garage while my dad worked at his workbench. He always had the radio on playing "Sailing" and songs like it. Thanks for the memory lane trip!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for appreciating this list. It was definitely challenging, even for a non-music type like me, to pick only 10. It's fun to hop around and see others' lists.

    Alex, great blogfest! Rock on! And thanks for the muppet shout out. I'm glad so many others (Haleine, Divacowgirl, MPax, Yvonne) love 'em too. xo

    GB, I don't know that reference. I think I'm better off. ;0)

    David, I don't actually know. The singer is male. I can't find it on YouTube. I'll have to keep searching. It was probably their only hit or semi-hit. xo

    Yay, Babysis and Baygirl like Sounds of Silence too. <-:

    Kelley, so glad to bring up sweet memories. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lots of kick ass tracks here! I'm going to use a few on my radio show!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wanna dance with you, baby! Lots of good stuff here!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great stuff here. I nearly included "Sounds of Silence" on my list. "Rainbow Connection" is a great song from a great soundtrack. This is my kind of list.

    Lee
    Make sure you check my Wednesday post!
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for stopping by my blog, leaving your comment and clicking that lovely follow button! Returned the favour!

    Cheers for now darlin!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic list, Robyn! Not a song on there I don't like! Sounds of Silence is a particular fave.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love Rockin Robin & Crocodile Rock !! Boogie on!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice varied list there Robyn. I am going to have to get mine posted albeit quite late as I was out of town until just now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gotta love John Lennon...best song ever...

    I don't know the No.1 - will have to investigate!

    x

    ps if I hear Hotel California one more time, i'll turn into the bloody ghost!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yay for The Muppets! Oh yea, and there are some great artists on your list too [g]

    ReplyDelete