InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Turkeys and Miracles: Sundays in My City

UnknownMami hosts this Sunday extravaganza. Visit her site here to visit the world. Thanks for stopping by. Welcome to Chico, CA, home of spunky turkeys.
 "YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME?"
This sweet mother-daughter turkey duo stopped applying feathers to pose for a photo.   Daughter told me it was her first 5K Run for Food. I shared that it was mine too...We waved at each other when she took a break after the first mile.

On Thanksgiving morn, over 5,000 people ran/walked to raise money for the Jesus Center, a community stronghold for over 30 years. 

With every stride, my thighs felt like bricks, pangs of soreness shot up and down my calves, and my knees screamed for mercy. As I rounded the 4K mark, a man behind me told his child,  "We're going to lift you across the finish line." I turned to see a young girl running between her parents, with all her might. I thought to ask if they'd kindly lift me too. But then he told his daughter that there'd be food at the finish line. I looked at him, shouted "Thank you!" and left that family for dust as I soared across the finish-line.
Given there was a time earlier this year, after major surgery, when the best I could do was walk to the corner and back, it's a small miracle that I was able to run a 5K. Moreover, I'm thankful to be in such a caring community that puts forth this effort on Thanksgiving. All told, money was raised to provide over 110, 000 meals to those in need. 

Last night, friends joined me in a wonderful celebration of Thanksgivukkah, Hanukah's fourth night. We're grateful for light and all that it symbolizes.


Celebrate your blessings this holiday season.

Have a safe, peaceful, hopeful Sunday and new week.

28 comments:

  1. Robyn, congratulations! You did it. And for a great cause. That is so awesome.
    Dig the turkey's attitude.
    Hope you enjoyed the food at the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you had such a wonderful day, really proud of you for doing the 5K and doing it so well, well done to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on completing the 5K Run For Food! I'm glad that you felt strong enough to compete after recovering from major surgery. This is such a worthwhile cause, and you should be very proud of yourself! Happy Hanukkah Robyn!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, wonderful post! I loved the feathers on the hats pic, and I'm so impressed you've recovered enough to run 5k. Wow! And it's for such a good cause. I must admit, I *walk* a little faster if I know I'm heading toward food. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something you can be proud of and looking at your picture I would say you are both proud and happy. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As short as you are, your mileage should count double! "CONGRATULATIONS!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. MsA, I agree. I run at the same pace as thousands of walkers. I tried to ignore that fact. When kids zipped by me, though, I picked up the pace.

    Thank you all. I'm still sore and proud. It was awesome.

    I didn't find chocolate, so I indulged in almonds at the finish line and have had plenty of chocolate since then.

    Happy holidays.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha. Food spurred you to the Finish Line. Well, whatever works!!! Congrats on completing the run and helping people in need.

    I had no idea you had a major surgery recently. So happy that your recovery has been outstanding! Outstanding... get it???? You were Out Standing. Or running. Whatevs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Running a 5k in general is no small feat, but to do it after having had major surgery is just amazing.

    I bet that food awaiting you at the finish line was one of the most satisfying things ever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brava to you for running your first 5K! You're an official jock now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on finishing the 5k! I'm not sure I could run 5 feet much less 5k! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done, Robyn, you look suitably triumphant! Judging by the clothes everyone's wearing, I'd say you have a balmy climate for late November.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That inflatable turkey is so funny. And congratulations on your accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, Robyn! That's fantastic! And how wonderful that is was for a good cause. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. 5K is a big deal! I've only done it a couple times in my life and I was much, much younger.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on making it -- it genuinely is an accomplishment!
    Happy Hannukah!
    :-)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on finishing the race. Just participating after your surgery is a triumph. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "You Want a Piece of Me?"
    DONE.
    And we'll do ya again on the 25th.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on completing the 5k, I'd fall over at one. Awesome that so much was raised too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That inflatable turkey is awesome. Congratulations on finishing the race. That is awesome!! And how awesome that they raised so much money!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on finishing the 5K, and after surgery too! I can't even run on the treadmill for 5 minutes without feeling like my legs are going to fall off. You should be so proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations! That's an awesome accomplishment, friend! Ha, the turkey pic was hilarious!

    Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well done! I don't think I could run 5ks even for the promise of food at the finish. And you did it for a good cause.

    Happy Hanukkah Robyn.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 5k? Wow, that is amazing! You can run circles around me :) I'd barely get down a block...maybe not even that!

    Congratulations. This is definitely something to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love 5k fun runs for a good cause and haven't participated in one for years (because I'm slower than the proverbial molasses in winter). But you've motivated me to try.. no.. ummm.. go watch and cheer others on! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete