InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Acting as Annie Bidwell: Dude Three and How Can I Miss You If You Won't Ever Leave?



Dear Sillies,
  May this find you well and taking good care of yourselves.   
  Through no fault of my own, except that I chose another loser, Dude Three’s presence in my life poses an ongoing challenge. I know, right? I ended that relationship four months ago!
   Please stick with me, as we embark upon a seemingly unrelated, related story about my hometown.
   Chico, CA was founded by heroic trailblazer and statesman John Bidwell. John courted and married Annie Kennedy (not related to the famed Kennedy family) - Civil War era. This remarkable duo graced and saved countless lives –including those of Native Indians, on whose land we reside—brought trees from across the world onto our formerly desolate region, and much more.
     Annie and I were similar in a few ways: We were both the second of four children, both June babies passionate about social justice, and we abstain(ed) from drinking. Most strikingly, Annie was exactly my height – 4’8”. (John was at least 6’ tall. I have yet to meet anyone my exact height.)
     Annie Kennedy Bidwell (6/30/1839-3/9/1918)
  
   Let’s start to connect the dots: Approximately 6 weeks after the breakup, a neighbor, we’ll call her . . . let's see, "Skanky," messaged me. “We need someone short to play Annie Bidwell in the Christmas show. Are you up for it?”
   This involved welcoming guests into Bidwell Mansion (where the couple resided) and performing a skit with Skanky.  Skanky and I were friends, and she'd been in the skit for several years. Their usual Annie was out of the country.
   In short (pun intended), I couldn't turn it down. 
   Here’s me as Annie Bidwell.
It was a big, little honor and loads of fun. 
Little (no pun intended this time) did I know what was going on behind the scenes…to be continued.
 

33 comments:

  1. Oh, you look SO FAB in your Annie Bidwell dress! And I love your kiss curl, gurl! And hmmm, what could the unsavoury sequel be to all this . . . is there a clue in your neighbour's nom de plume? Hanky Panky Skanky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I love your clever questioning.
      Thank you for the praise. That outfit fit so perfectly, except that it had to be taken up 18". I know, 18 inches?!

      Delete
  2. You look wonderful in costume and make a great Annie Bidwell! You DO know the poem about the little girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead (forrid). When she was good, she was very, very good, but when she was bad, she was horrid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my bloggy friend Marlene (who's no longer blogging) reminded me about that song. I admit, when I'm bad, I'm...mildly horrid. If that's possible. Okay, okay. Why be only mildly anything? I'm just plain horrid. Thank you, Mitchell. Smiles.

      Delete
  3. Maybe you could take the show to Broadway and call it, I don't know, Annie. I'll bet it would be a great hit! You could also call it Dude Three and Skanky, but it doesn't have such a nice ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet there's a slew of songs to go with that show, Jono. You have the best ideas! I don't think anyone wants to pay to see Dude Three and Skanky, though.
      Be well, friend.

      Delete
  4. Look at you not coming up short, or would that be coming up short to score the role? lol hopefully nothing too skanky went on behind the scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or getting down short in tall order, or something. Ha. Thanks, Pat.

      Delete
  5. You look stunning. Glad you took the part and had fun with it.
    Good, Dude Three had to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Alex. As soon as I tried that on, and I had help with all the layers and adjustments, I said "Ladies, I think we found it." (I'd tried several other outfits on first. They didn't fit at all.)

      Delete
  6. How fun. and of course there's some behind the scenes drama. I love your T.B.C.....hooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun, Joanne, especially when a few kids wanted to get in photos with me. Sweet.

      Delete
  7. That looks like a lot of fun. I'm sure we'll find out why she was Skanky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look amazing in that dress! It's perfect. BUT YOU LEFT US HANGING!!!!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well don't you just look darling! What an amazing look. Waiting for more information...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look really good in that outfit! Good start to the story. Can't wait to read more about Skanky.

    By the way, as you may be aware, there's actually a 1970s song with a title very similar to your post title, "How Can I Miss You When You Won't Go Away?" by (I swear) Dan Hicks and his Hot licks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it a country song, Silver Fox? I did use the title because I know it's a country music song. Must be the same one. It's a great, relevant title.
      Thanks so much.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure if anyone besides Hicks has recorded it. As far as its genre, Dan Hicks (1941-2016) has been described as being "known for an idiosyncratic style that combined elements of cowboy folk, jazz, country, swing, bluegrass, pop, and gypsy music." Quite a mix, and very hard to label!

      Delete
  11. You look great with your hair up, and you should dress like that all the time.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like a fun time! Neat costume. You look great! Looking forward to what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anna Bidwell was quite pretty so they picked the right person! You look so pretty in the green outfit which makes me think the gal who asked you...Ms. Skank..y...must have been jealous and maybe set her sights on someone she shouldn’t have.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So stunning, you should find yourself in a Wallace Stegner novel! As I know a bit about the Bidwells, I'm glad to see this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to learn you know about the Bidwells, Sage. I wish we could chat about that over tea or something. Thank you for the compliments - it was a great honor. I love the fact that, though I'd never heard of the Bidwells when I moved here, I'm Annie's height.

      Delete
  15. You look very pretty as Ms. Bidwell. You were perfect for the part!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that's a wonderful story. And you do look alot like her. You look lovely. What a fantastic experience.
    She sounds like quite a woman too.
    Thanks for sharing. Worth framing those photos!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting info! Thanks for that.
    BTW the costume looks great, and you look great in it!
    It must have been a ordeal getting dressed everyday back then.

    ReplyDelete