InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Friday, April 12, 2024

When I Met Ray Bolger, the Wonderful Scarecrow of All Time

Dear Sillies, 

Growing up in Los Angeles meant an occasional up-close-and-personal encounter with a celebrity. Among the most famous of them, one of the most talented humans to ever grace planet earth, Ray Bolger, best known for his role as the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz. 

Taking you back to Universal Studios Amusement Park near Hollywood circa 1980, my family, along with our neighbors (close friends), sat in an outdoor theatre to await a stunt show. Gossipy whispers worked their way through the audience. Folks turned their heads to gawk at a certain couple. Dad, quite sharp regarding popular culture (and all else), pointed out Ray Bolger who sat with his wife a few rows back from us. 

People were polite then. Me, not so much. With camera in hand, I got up nice and close to snap the second photo below of Ray Bolger's joyous profile. So glad I did! 

Sadly, Ray would pass from bladder cancer approximately seven years later. But what a life. What a legacy. When asked whether he received residuals from the show, Ray said "no" but he was thrilled to settle for "immortality" instead. 

The first photo was after the show, when we asked if we could take a picture. Ray was incredibly accommodating. I remember feeling touched by his generosity. 

Coincidentally, one of my (very smart) clients mentioned today that The Wizard of Oz came out in 1939. It's the 85th Anniversary year. I'd already planned to post this today. 

WOOHOO, I was touched by the Scarecrow. 
How lucky I am! (Also, I had a brain enough to hold onto these photos for decades. Yay!)

18 comments:

  1. Well done - and hooray for hanging on to the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, EC. It was fun and easy back then to sneak up on a star and snap a worthy photo or two.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Mitchell. Little did I know then, I did it for Life by Chocolate. Smiles.

      Delete
  3. I think I may be the only person in the world who has not seen “The Wizard of Oz,” nor do I even know the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, David. I do know one other person who didn't see it. I don't recall sitting through the whole thing more than once. The part that stays with me (besides the Scarecrow's out-of-this world dancing) is the discovery that the wizard is a small, inept buffoon. So relevant.

      Delete
  4. That was super nice of him to pose with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so tiny next to him but he was tall dude this is so neat. I think many stars back in the day were more pleasing to meet. He was an amazing dancer. I herd that he was a genuine nice person

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I posted this, Birgit. I figured you likely know more about him than I do. He was tall and very charming, right? Sigh. Silly me for appearing so casual when I'm next to one of the brightest stars of all time. And yeah, I never wore heels to hide my stature.

      Delete
  6. He sounds like such a nice guy, and how fun that you got these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luck and an ever-opportunistic mindset have been on my side, Karen. Thank you for chiming in. He was very humble and kind, a true gentleman.

      Delete
  7. Soon he will be gone 40 years. I must be having fun because time is sure flying by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's a positive re-frame. Plus you've had some of the world's best chocolates! Smiles.

      Delete
    2. Yes, and I didn't run into any coconut, YEA!

      Delete
    3. Oh good. I didn't think about that. I usually avoid it myself. Cheers.

      Delete
  8. Wow, that is fantastic! The most famous person I ever met was Phil McConkey of the Giants.
    You win.
    By the way, my Passover post is on delayed publish until Monday. If you care to, pay a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great tale to share! It's refreshing that such a celebrity would be so accomodating and friendly.

    ReplyDelete