InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Happy Hanukah or Chanukah or Hanukka or Hanukkah...and other fun stuff!

Dear Sillies,

Sorry I'm late to say "Happy Hanukah" (spelled per the steps below). It arrived fairly immediately after turkey was digested.

Debra She Who Seeks inspired the below tutorial, little does she know. Her very entertaining Festival of Lights post motivated me to provide a lesson on how to spell the Jewish holiday.

 4 Easy Steps to Spelling this Jewish Holiday:

1) Start with "Ha". Or start with "Cha" (pronounced the Jewish Bubbe's* way, with a bit of phlegm in the throat.) *the Jewish grandma. We all love her.

2) Next, write "new." No, not like that! It's "nu" or "nnu" (with extra emphasis on the 'n', or choose one 'n' and make that particular one silent. You can alternatively choose the other 'n' and make that particular one silent. See how easy it is!?).

3) Then, spell "caw." But spell it like "kah" or "kkah" or "ka" or "kka." Anything but "caw" or "cah" or "ccah" or "ca" or "cca." Easy peasy, latke squeezy, right?

Got it? No? No worries. Bubbe's passed out on the couch. She went heavy on the Manischewitz, which is spelled without a 'v'. <--see next tutorial for this spelling. Go on now and spin the dreidel.

This man, JT, is good with a dreidel. He'd never spun one before; amazing.
If you can believe it--I can't--we're approaching SIX MONTHS. I know. He's pretty good, I'm thinking, and I'm thinking he's thinking the same about me. I don't want to post much on JT because I have no dirt, no weirdness, nothing scandalous to tell you. I also don't want to be sappy, lovey, Hallmark-y annoying, either.

Anyway, we played dreidel tonight. He asked when the game ends. I glanced at my wristwatch and told him, "In approximately 6,000 years, hon." He spun faster. 

-------------------------In Other News:

InSanity, my latest book, a memoir and sequel to Woman on the Verge of Paradise, is coming SOON to an Amazon link near you.

Here's a snippet of a FAILED book cover design. I tried using someone through a site called www.Fiverr.com. Were it a creepy sci fi book, this might almost work, but . . . The words under the title bother me most. This contractor took way too many creative liberties.

   I don't mind disparaging Fiverr.com. They only permit happy customers to leave reviews. You can't leave a review for a canceled order. So I'm warning you HERE against using them unless you do very thoughtful research first. (I found a 5-star, popular designer, so I thought I was safe. I didn't look further into this person, which I should've done.)

Good news, I have a new graphic designer who's phenomenal AND local.

You'll see. The SUCCESSFUL cover's brilliant.

Be well, friends.

Deep breaths as we enter December!

28 comments:

  1. I am thrilled that InSanity has a new cover and look forward to seeing it. Hiss and spit at Fiverr.com.
    And HAPPY HANUKAH - in all its myriad spellings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, EC! For many years, your encouragement has meant more than words could express. You've always been one of my main cheerleaders.
      Happy...Festival of Lights. There we go. =D
      Love, light, and hope to you.

      Delete
  2. Fiverr.com has 455 book cover designers. All of them have 4.9 or 5.0 reviews. Impossible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should've checked with you first, rather than being so naive. Now we know, Mike. They block anything but happy reviews. I'm also suspect of those "happy" reviews. I don't think they're all sincere and from legit customers. Thanks for the data.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, how to spell and pronounce Chanukah(etc.), clear as mud! Happy 6 months with JT. He’s very lovable looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he, though? Kinda like you, Mitchell.
      I can't help but adore him.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Happy Hanukkah!
    It's been over 2 weeks since my Covid booster and I'm still waiting for 5G to kick in.
    In other news I just wanted to share that when Rumplestiltskin got older they started calling him Rumpleforeskin. Sorry, but I'm in a mood.
    P.S. I think J.T. is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. You're on a roll, Jono. Thanks for the giggles. 5G infiltrates very subtly. It's already killing us but we don't mention it.

      Rumpleforeskin's much happier than his younger self, I'm thinking.
      Thank you. I think he's awesome too. As are you.

      Delete
  5. That was funny.
    Glad things are going spinningly with JT.
    Yeah, that's not a good cover for your type of book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's horrid, Alex. It would've even pass for a sci fi cover. When I heard back within a day with a msg "I have your cover ready," I knew I was in trouble. I told her I want a lot of back and forth, to take her time...Oy vey.

      Thank you for your ongoing support.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the spelling tutorial re "Hanukkah," Robyn, all is now clear! HRH still disputes it though. And don't mention Manischewitz to me. I was sick as a dog on it once during my foolish youth. Never touched it since.

    Man, that creepy cover!!! Can't wait to see the REAL one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Debra. Manischewitz has a very high alcohol content. It's not a good drink for Bubbe or anyone who doesn't wish to get sloshed.

      I'm excited for the big reveal.
      Thanks for all your support.

      Delete
  7. Fiverr is also selective on who it promotes - and takes a chunk of change from the artist. I'm listed there for book formatting, but I've only had one customer because I have to jack up my prices to cover the fee. otherwise, you're right - there are a lot of hacks on the site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, Diane. Now I'm more on fire with Fiverr. They're incredibly sketchy. Sorry for your headaches with them.

      Delete
  8. I've often wondered why there were so many different spellings of Hanukkah. This is the spelling I've seen...I think, the most and seems to fit the way I say it. I've spun a dreidel.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Sandy, they say that for every 2 Jews, there are 3 opinions. Smiles.
      Glad you've spun a dreidel. Everyone should try that at least once.
      Be well.

      Delete
  9. He's cute, happy 6 months. I'm glad things are going so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mary.
      I hope you're doing well and staying healthy.

      Delete
  10. Manischewitz?!?!?!?!?!? Nooooooooooooo.

    You drink that and you'll be up all night. Well, maybe thats why you WANT to drink it. lol!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, MM. The alcohol content is higher than the Chico community, altogether. Ha.

      Hugs.

      Delete
  11. It's tough to find a good graphic designer who is also attuned to your needs/wants/requirements. If you can find one, you hold onto them for dear life.

    Not sure if the background of the cover was what you were looking for, but it does look...interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I plan on holding onto this one for dear life, GB. You're right.

      "Interesting" is such a nice word for "lousy." Smiles.
      Thank you, and thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  12. I am always conflicted over two n or two k dilemma in the spelling. Happy Dreidel Season! Good luck with your new book and I'm glad you have a new graphic artist - you deserve an excellent cover. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Joanne.
      Cheers to you. Be warm, safe, and well, friend.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for your punctuation aids. Where you were when I had to take a year of Hebrew? May you have a wonderful Hanukkah. By the way, a few years ago, after the shooting in the synagogue in Pittsburgh, we decided to put "Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish Neighbors" on our church sign (that was seen by everyone coming on or leaving the island). We got into a debate as to how to spell it and I finally said, I'd settle it by calling a rabbi friend--only to learn that it wasn't really settled, we could chose between a "C" and a "H".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. But you must use an "h" after the "c" if you start it with a "c" and then...well, see above. For every 2 Jewish people, you have 3 opinions. Smiles.
      B'shalom.

      Delete
  14. I am catching up a bit and hope your holiday was good. Notice I did not try to spell it as I would fail. You have every right to be sweet and cutesy with this man since you have gone through too many dogs. Just call him oopsie poopsie to us, we will understand and not criticize.

    ReplyDelete