InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Friday, November 17, 2017

Dude Three, Part Three and Other Stuff



   He’s already two minutes late! A knock at the door interrupted my prelude to despair.
   “I was on the wrong street,” Dude Three explained, a bit frazzled.
   “No worries. Yeah, it’s confusing. It’s a broken street, and a cul de sac. We’re fine.”
---
   Streams of sunlight warmed my back and head, as Three led me to a peaceful, secluded spot along Bidwell Creek.  He’d brought a hearty assortment of snacks (Havarti cheese, pepperoni and sandwich meats, a Pale Ale for himself, bottled water for me). Three rested a large tan beach towel on the grass, and confessional began.
   “I want to explain. So I’m sorry again about not following up after we met. Liz and I used to go to Lake Almanor all the time, so I was in a funk about stuff. But when I saw you at the concert, I was thinking 'I really had fun with her.' Robyn--” he pointed at his arm--“I wear my heart here. I’m faithful, I’m a good guy. That wasn't like me.”
   I couldn’t help but start (or keep) falling. I think it’s that innocent childlike vulnerability. I can relate; I never matured beyond it, I guess. Or is it the nurturer in me who wants to soothe and comfort? Oy. Dunno. I know that we were both comfortable and attracted from the start.
   “I do need to say,” I began, “when you dissed me to go sell baseball cards on EBay, I gotta tell you, Three, that’s not good for a woman’s ego.”
   He laughed.
   I smiled. “Look, I won’t let you forget about it. But"--I imparted an elbow nudge--"I’ll give you a free pass, since you manned up and we’re here. You've used your only free pass.”
   “Challenge accepted,” he grinned. 
   Three explained about his admittedly nerdy baseball card hobby. He told me about his two grown (young adult) children. Things were a bit touchy with the younger one, though he spoke like a proud, loving father. 
   “Okay,"--my turn--"respect is key."
   “I agree. Friendship first, and I need to earn your trust.”
   I liked that he realized this. “And monogamy.”
   “One love." Three raised an index finger. "Yes! One love!"
   I told Three about Pizza Delivery Boy and Paul E., both of whom were anti-monogamy.  Oh, and the married man who tried to kiss me at a party. And, no. I shut-up, else I'd continue forever.
--
   There was no romance (not yet anyway).  
   I'd invited him to a house concert after our picnic, so we went back to my place in-between things.  (I know, sorry. It's a real story, though, so it shall continue).  
~~~~~~~
Now for a tribute to the one and only Jono. In addition to being a very intelligent, worldly, warmhearted man, Jono's become a dear friend. We've shared snippets about Judaism. Thus, this picture outside of a  synagogue in Greece is for you, Jono. Unfortunately, I couldn't go inside. We were there during the High Holidays (Jewish New Year).

 Have a safe and relaxing weekend, my Dear Sillies.

32 comments:

  1. There was no romance(not yet anyway). So there's hope?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ? to be continued.
      Have a good weekend and week ahead, Stephen.

      Delete
  2. I hope things progress and flourish for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If he tells you that he's a good guy, then is that a warning sign? Kind of like Trump telling everyone how smart and successful he is? This guy had better be a liberal. Sorry if I'm Debbie Downer. I don't want him to do you wrong.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, my friend. Yes, he's liberal. Our religious and political values aligned from the start - a good sign. Right? ? We shall see.
      Love.

      Delete
  4. Jono is a truly lovely man.
    I am still very, very dubious about Dude the Third. And hope that he doesn't turn into yet another Dude the Turd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jono really is. I'm so glad to have happily surprised him.

      And what can I say, or keep saying, besides "to be continued"? Smiles.

      Delete
  5. I confess myself out of my depth here. Three sounds a bit ambivalent, but I don't know. 47 years ago, I married a friend of mine. We're getting serious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you'd think so, Geo. I think it was more likely nervousness than ambivalence.

      47 years and getting serious? Don't move too quickly. I don't want you to get hurt. PS That's amazing. Kudos to you two.

      Delete
  6. Three did OK, but why do I know this isn't going to end well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never know until we know, and then we still don't know, Mitchell. Wink.

      PS Ambiguous response intended.
      Be well, friend.

      Delete
  7. Well you haven't kicked him to the curb yet, so romance may be there. Nerdy baseball collection and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be worse, right? He could be a nerdy Pokemon card collector.

      Delete
  8. Geez, Robyn, you're making me a bit misty. That was completely unexpected. Thank you!
    Three sounds very promising. What could possibly go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three seems to have some potential . . . ? Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The question mark remains...at least until next time.
      Thank you, Debra.

      Delete
  10. glad the story continues...so far this is very positive. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. I hope you're having a great weekend too.

      Delete
  11. A winner or a loser? I guess you'll let us know!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I shall, fishducky. Eventually. Smiles.
      Thanks for dropping in.

      Delete
  12. He's doing things right now. Will it continue though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could improve, even. Will it?
      Hmmm...PS Don't you hate this? It's not easy for me either.

      Delete
  13. It's the "not yet" about romance that had me raise my eyebrows. There is obviously more to this story. Spill the beans, Robyn! Inquiring minds want to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok so, aside from him saying he’s a good guy, which is like a sales pitch, this seems ok. My brother is a huge baseball card collector so I can’t fault him There. This sounds nice but I do have my dark side, like he is saying what you want to hear because, all women like to hear this. Actions speak louder than words so I will await your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - actions speak way louder than words. And time does tell. It doesn't tell all, but it tells some things we need to know. Am I being ambiguous enough?

      Be well, Birgit.

      Delete
  15. Enjoyed reading your story!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A guy who is slow to pull the trigger can be a good thing. But then I thought that one boy was a winner and he turned out to be a loser. I think it was #2?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my God.. I thought I was going to get a resolution!!! ahhh..
    Okay, so hanging on to Part 4.. or No. 3. Or 3 of 3. Or No. E.
    Ahhh I'm confused.
    But I'm worried. This isnt going to go well is it...

    One day youre going to hit a home run!
    Baseball pun intended haha

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Catching up on my blog reading. I was going to go straight to the most recent installment first, but changed my mind and decided to read in order. Now, I'm off to read the next post. :)

    ReplyDelete