InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

It's All Greek For YOU!

More on my recent trip to Greece ~

   Did you know that Greece has over 6,000 islands and islets? Most are so small, they're uninhabited.
   Mykonos (the word means "windy") is one of the most popular Greek island. I loved my time there - relaxing on the beach, shopping, eating fabulous food, etc. *[I especially enjoyed the sight of one particular Greek god.] 
   
   Here's a snapshot of the sand/pebbles on a beach at Mykonos. This one, for JoJo. She makes  gorgeous pieces of art out of shells, pebbles, beads, yarn, almost anything.  Hope you like these, JoJo.
   *Kevin was on Mykonos too. I couldn't help but request a photo. Note: He's not that tall. I'm that short. This photo is for me and anyone else who enjoys looking at him. My tour-mates teased me about getting the photo, while they also admitted to jealousy.

   Now, for Pat Hatt. I was so focused on getting a good shot of the skull, I didn't read the description. While I can't promise you it's in the cat family, Pat, I can promise it looks like one. Right? Plus, it's over  3,500 years old (That's almost equal to the number of days you've been blogging!).
   The Minoan civilization at Akrotiri was destroyed by a volcanic activity in approximately 1600 BC. All sorts of structures and bones/skeletons remain intact for our viewing pleasure, this old majestic cat (?) included.
   Women are respected throughout Greece. Sure, there are some slimy Greeks (By "Greeks", I mean men). But misogyny is not a problem there like it is in the US and other parts of the world. Women are seen as powerful, competent, and worthy of reverence.  Rarely do crimes against women occur.
   Here's an ancient (as in, thousands of years old) creation depicting feminine beauties. It made me think of our empowered and feisty goddess of blogland, Debra. This one's for you, She Who Seeks.

   Crete is one of the largest of the Greek islands. There's a lot of maritime activity there. A Turkish prison too. This anchor, now a monument, can be spotted in the Cretan town of Chania. It's for none other than Sage, our maritime blog friend. Anchor's away, Sage.
   Atlantis Books is the coolest bookstore I've ever seen. This underground store graces the island of Santorini, in the village of Oia (pronounced Ee-uh). There, I found an 1897 collection of Jane Austen's works for only 1,700 Euros. One Euro equals approximately 80 percent of the US Dollar. If any of my loyal blog friends is worth it, it's Joanne. The whole set is for you, Joanne! Enjoy.





   Here's me snuggling up to a little Greek goddess, in a hotel spa (Santorini). I learned that the Minoan civilization was small in stature. Average height for men was 5 foot, 3 inches. (Not sure about women, so we'll say I'd be a bit taller than average. How's that? I like it!) That said, I assume this statue is Minoan. I also assume I'm part Minoan. I'm dedicating this photo to Diane, blogland's Spunk, who's with me on the Minoan side of the height spectrum. Here's to little goddesses all over the world, Diane!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll stop here for now. I have more dedications, in time.
Be well, my dear sillies.
Take care of yourselves, and enjoy the new week.

34 comments:

  1. Loving your tour, and your dedications. Good things do indeed come in small packages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, he makes you look very very short haha Yeah, it comes off as a cat indeed. Almost as old as I've been blogging, may have a few years on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How would the cat like his head displayed a couple thousand years from now, Pat?
    You saw a lot on just that island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all amazing, Alex. And all at my fingertips. The age of that skull makes it seem a perfect match for Pat and the cat.

      Delete
  4. I would've been as tall as the guys! LOL Thank you, Robyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd have felt like a basketball player, Diane.
      I'd have been feeling pretty tall and happy.
      You're welcome.

      Delete
  5. You found your people, and yes a Greek god. Nice shot. And thanks so much for the Jane Austen collection and visit to the bookstore. Best souvenir! You rock! Greece looks like it agreed with you a lot. Enjoy the memories and save your drachmas to return

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, you're so worthy (and I'm not), you spelled "Austen" correctly. Oops. Thanks. I made the correction. I have 2 Euros for my return trip. Woohoo. Glad you like the collection, Joanne. Enjoy.

      Delete
  6. Amazing, Robyn! This is an awesome trip you took.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so happy. Greece suits you, a does the dude. Too bad he doesn't fit in your carry on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. He declined taking up my big suitcase, Elizabeth. Can you believe that? Ahh, Kevin. Sigh. PS Yeah, he has a very American name, Kevin.

      Delete
  8. Wow! You really ARE starting to look Minoan. Have you checked your dna?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robyn! Thank you for thinking of me in connection with that wonderful ancient Cretan art of what I am sure are barebreasted Minoan Priestesses of the Goddess! I'd love to see Crete some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Debra. And as you likely know, the barebreasted ones are prepared to feed their babies. That part, I didn't add, because it's not relevant to you. But it's still the perfect artwork for you.

      Delete
  10. Did you pick up the beach glass???????? AWESOME! What a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few white pebbles, but didn't bring home the glass. Sorry, JoJo. It's there awaiting your arrival.
      Thanks.
      Yes, fantastic trip.

      Delete
  11. At 5'8" I'd be considered tall in the Minoan civilization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be revered as the most powerful, Stephen, Godly Giant.

      Delete
  12. I'd fit right in with the Minoan at 5'2". Look at you with no shy bone in your body just walking up to that Greek man for a photo op! You go girl! Love you!

    Have a beachy week!
    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, actually, I was more subtle. I asked the Tour Guide if I could take a photo of her and -sigh- Kevin (the Greek god). She knew what I really wanted, so she said, "No, I'll take it of you two."
      Love you, doll.

      Delete
  13. I always thought you were Minoan. In fact, you tower over every Minoan woman that I've known.

    Nice photos and a great post. It looks like you had some fun there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you're funny Pat. I really should get my DNA tested. Yes, it was a great trip.
      Thank you, kind friend.

      Delete
  14. Glad you had a good time. Mykonos is alot of fun. Never went to Crete though. I think that's a bit of glass in there too, the green one. I seem to remember lots of glass in the pebbles on some of those beaches.
    The road used to scare me in Santorini. I hope theyve fixed that brick wall. It was about knee height when I was there, and bits missing on corner where people had probably gone over!
    Thanks for sharing!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did seem a bit risking trekking the cliffside in Santorini, especially if one is inebriated. Fortunately, I wasn't, Anthony. Yes, there were particles of glass in that sand. I'd have brought some home, but my suitcase was pushing the max weight limits with souvenirs.
      Thanks for visiting, my friend.

      Delete
  15. Robyn--I haven't had the pleasure of getting to Greece yet, but I DID spend a week in Turkey this past spring, and probably will go back next spring (dog rescue work). I enjoyed reading the posts about your trip... It made me feel like I was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Sioux. Turkey and Greece are probably much the same in many ways. Funny you do dog rescue work there. We kept seeing lots of stray cats in Greece, very few dogs. Now I know where the stray dogs are.

      Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  16. I loved Greece! Made it to Corfu and Crete. Did a lot of flying while there. And our share of partying. What a great place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. By the way, it's Anchors AWEIGH, not AWAY (a common mistake).
    It's comes from weighing anchor.
    Sailor, you know. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No weigh, Al! "Aweigh" is a word? What do I know? Apparently, not much at all. I don't even know where Corfu is - hadn't heard of it. Doh.

      Greece, such a special place. Sigh.

      Delete
    2. It really is.
      Corfu is a wonderful place. Sang drunken songs with a man named Stavros (or Petros...whatever...it's all Greek to me).
      He didn't speak English.
      I didn't speak Greek.
      What a blast.

      Delete