InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Monday, October 19, 2020

The Double-Dog Dare, Sweet Scary Nostalia

 My Dear Sillies,
   A very talented and loving lady, Jenny Matlock, used to do a Saturday Centus exercise. I occasionally participated. This photo was the prompt. The challenge: using all five senses, write about this in 100 words max.
   Here's my story, The Double Dog Dare...

 

 “I double-dog dare ya to go in,” Johnny challenged. He was cute so I acted brave.  


“Okay.” I swallowed my jelly bean whole. Salty black-licorice flavor stuck to my tongue.  Entering the creepy old shack, the smell of mud overtook me.  I was blinded by darkness.

“Welcome!” A boyish voice came up through the floors’ wooden panels.  I noticed a gaping hole at my feet and felt the sudden firm grip of fingers clasping my ankles from below.

“Let me go! Help! Help!”

A familiar giggle slowed my pulse.

“Johnny, you poo-poo head! That wasn’t funny!”
  

35 comments:

  1. Brilliant. And Johnny was lucky that the fright didn't cause a bladder difficulty and give him a golden shower for his pains. Which might even has served him right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, EC! To this day, Johnny doesn't know how lucky his is.

      Delete
  2. Heh. Johnny deserved a spanking for causing the protagonist to swallow a jelly bean whole.

    I do like the alternate ending suggested by Elephant Child's comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too, Infidel. Perhaps a sequel is in order.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Let this be a lesson to poo-poo heads everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, poo-poo heads: Stop being poo-poo heads!
      Love, Geo and Robyn
      How's that?
      Smiles.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne.
      I miss the days. Not the days when I did stuff like this (I never did) but the Saturday Centus days.
      Love to you.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It's a good challenge to keep things to 100 words. It improved my writing, but now I'm back to really long winded sentences like this. Sigh.
      =)

      Delete
  6. Ok that would freak me out. Great short write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good that you stopped at 100 words. If you went to 101 or 2, Johnny might be having a foot in his mouth. Nice writing, Robyn.

    new blog: www.fromarockyhillside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would've been my foot too, Jeff.
      Thanks.
      Sorry I've been lagging on the visit. Shall do that soon.

      Delete
    2. PS Sorry, having problems loading your page - it's taking forever. Can you direct-link it with your sig? It might be my laptop, but I just don't have the patience now. )=

      Delete
    3. the direct link now is www.fromarockyhillside.com

      Delete
  8. Reminds me of one of the IWSG anthology stories but yours didn't end up with a real scare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't stomach a real scare, Diane. How do authors do it? I get so anxious writing a scary scene. It's hard to calm myself down. =)

      Delete
  9. I would have stomped on that brat as soon as my feet were free. I also like EC's idea of a golden shower. You wrote this piece very well.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you back. I miss Jenny Matlock. What a sweetheart. I still send her Christmas cards.

      Delete
  10. I'd have peed down my leg. All below my fear beware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was far too nice to Johnny. He's lucky this didn't actually happen.
      Cheers, Elizabeth.

      Delete
  11. lol he may deserve to get relieved on for that, especially being down there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAHA! Love this story. Would have freaked me out, but I would probably have gone it, too :)

    ReplyDelete