InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

A Decade of Difference and Happy Birthday, John Cusack!



 Photo on left: My Wedding Day, 7/1/07      

*Photo on right: This weekend, 6/24/17

*I posed with a friend and her boyfriend. Since I didn't ask their permission, I chopped-cropped his face off. You'd probably still recognize him on the streets, but my hair will blind you first.

What a difference 10 years (minus one week) makes, right? 

It seems an appropriate time to share the piece below. I posted it years ago for Jenny Matlock's Alpha-Thursday "H" post. I hope you appreciate the message.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happily Ever After  
backyard of Temple Israel, where we married. Alameda's Bay Farm Island, 6/17


   "As wonderful as things are at this moment," Rabbi Wyse promised, "it will get even better, better than you could ever imagine."

   Touched by these words, I stood teary-eyed with my new husband, an expansive rainbow colored stained glass window accentuating our loving aura. It was indeed a magical day, added to promise of a divine future.

   The months and years to follow, though? Not so much. Okay, when does this happily ever after thing kick in? I wondered, as life plummeted into a miserable abyss. How could a man of the cloth be so off base?

   More recently, however, I learned the wisdom behind those words. The Rabbi was right, after all. It would get even better than I could ever imagine.
   I just didn't realize it would take so long after the marriage, and the divorce, to find my happily ever after.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the grand finale, it's not just another Wednesday. 6/28 marks the Birthday of an adorably witty, playful, charismatic, gorgeous and sexy celebrity. Of all the stars with whom to share my birthday (year included), I did pretty good. Happy Birthday, John Cusack.

“I don’t want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that. I just want to spend time celebrating our special day (and night) together, Robyn Alana Engel. Be my birthday date.
XoXo#&etc.*!! Love Always, John Cusack”
If you insist, John.
Happy Birthday to us!
Smooches and more, hon.
xo Robyn ox 

Five extra credit points to the first person who names the movie in which he says the above quote. And who does he say it to?

Be well, and take care of yourselves, Dear Sillies.

44 comments:

  1. No points for me. I am clueless about movies. Always.
    A very, very happy birthday (and more happiness to come).

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Say Anything" --and thanks for a heartfelt post. You are a remarkable and strong person, Robyn. My compliments and admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, Robyn! You look like you were having a lot more fun in that second photo. Hope there is a triple-chocolate cake waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry the happiness didn't come until much later. But you're happy now. Have a wonderful birthday.

    I also thought John Cusack was adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are my thoughts exactly!!

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday! Lloyd says that to Diane's father in Say Anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Love that "now" photo of you -- you kick ass, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Robyn! Very thoughtful and insightful words from someone who has obviously lived with her heart and earned her happiness. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Say Anything is the movie. He told it to the girl's father, I think. Happy birthday too! And yeah, we can make our own happiness. Sure look like you are having more fun 10 years later indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ding! Ding! Winner.
      I was having more fun 10 years later. It's pretty amazing.
      Thanks, Pat.

      Delete
  9. Happy birthday and I am very glad that it is indeed happy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, I can never remember movie titles! Was it Point Blank Gross or something? Happy bithday, Robyn, you look young enough to be John Cusack's twin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, GB. But then we would be legal - if you know what I mean.

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday day/month/year to you and John Cusack. Glad you can share with him. And good things come to those who wait - quite a cliche and yet I think you are just hitting your stride. It will keep getting better as you be-bop through life. The blue hair is a good look! Hugs and Say Anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Say Anything.
      Thank you for your hopeful perspective and cheer, Joanne.
      Happy 4th of July weekend.

      Delete
  12. Thanks, friends. I love you too.
    Geo's right first: Say Anything! And who'd he say it to? Pat Hatt's right, the father. Who played the father?
    *Insert Jeopardy music.*
    I know so little about movies, but this one, I know for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have a clue which movie this was said in. Other than 2012, I don't think I've seen any of his movies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, lady! You look beautiful in your wedding gown, but you also look introspective and kinda scared. In the recent picture? You look truly happy... and beautiful. Happiness always looks beautiful. I hope you and John have a lovely date... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet and wise, Susan. Thank you, friend. I really appreciate your words. John does too. ;-)

      Delete
  15. Say Anything: Lloyd Dobler says that to Diane Court's father, who is played by John Mahoney. Mr. Court wants to know what Lloyd is going to do now that he's graduated from high school. I love John Cusack. Happy birthday, young lady! I don't think I have a single photo from my wedding, and I don't care. Photos would probably make me sad that I wasted my youth on scum. I'd also be sad that I'm no longer young, skinny, and pretty. I WAS A FINALIST IN A BEAUTY PAGEANT! I won the talent award, too, dammit.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not very good at movies, but I can be persuasive. Give me Mr. Cusack's phone and address and he will at least call you. He will do more if you would like. Just let me know. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday to You
    Happy birthday to You
    Happy Birthday dear Robyn
    Happy Birthday to you.
    Now if you heard me singing, you ask me to stop
    I don't know where that saying is by John Cusak but I think it must come from the movie where he has the ghetto blaster perched on his head or something.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday my dear friend! You and I need a walk in the park soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you, loves.

    Um, does anyone else have the "3rd party hosting" crap on your blog. Do you see it? They're trying to get $400 from me (for posting photos supposedly), and they've f*ked up my blog to do it. Help. I might be older but I'm still just as not naive, and not moreso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I haven't seen it anywhere else. I Googled it. Apparently, photobucket is now charging people who use their images. Do you know if you have photobucket images and if you can remove them?

      Delete
    3. I've been on the phone for hours trying to clear it up. Now, I'm getting actual help from a friend. Thank you, Janie.
      Oh, so funny. You are a wiz with movie trivia. I was sure it was Robert DeNiro who played the father. So silly of me. Thanks for correcting me. You get 4 extra credit points!

      Delete
  20. Happy Birthday, Robyn!! I hope you had a wonderful day. I'm glad you found your happy. :) Happy looks good on you. :) You were a beautiful bride!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday! (Belated). I hope you have/had a great time. Not sure about your 3rd party hosting problem, but I'm also the person who bailed on Blogger when I couldn't renew my URL. You really made me think back on the me from a decade minus a week ago. Really weird to think about that me. I don't feel like I've changed all that much, but I definitely don't fully identify with that person I was anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surreal to think back to one decade minus a week ago, isn't it? Add the week back in, and it's still strange.
      Thank you for the bday cheer.

      Delete
  22. Happy (belated) birthday, Robyn! It seems I'm always late for the party :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Martha. We've kept the party going. You're just on time. Thank you.

      Delete
  23. Happy belated birthday my dear friend! It's those tough times that carve us into our most awesome selves and that's why you rock today! Love you!

    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha - I'm so glad you and John are now an item. Quite a step up.
    If that's him on the right, he's not looking so good.

    Sorry you're marriage didn't work out dear. You do sound happy though which is a wonderful thing.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yeah, he's a bit troubled. We had fun posing for those pictures.

      John, though, always looks hot. Definitely a major step up. Be still my heart.

      Love ya, Anthony.

      Delete
  25. Happy Birthday, Robyn!! I hope you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy birthday, Robyn & John! :)
    Wiser, better, stronger each year, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hope your birthday (and John's) was a happy one! Love the current photo of you. :) Have a nice 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Call me an optimist, but I'm convinced that things usually work out for the best. Apparently, the same could be said for you (even though you thought that rabbi was probably meshuggah).
    Happy Birthday (I did hit you up on Facebook, didn't I?)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks, sweet friends. I'm sure you did, Al.

    ReplyDelete